Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 PM

Default playback buffer size and "static" with rhythm guitar tracks

Hi all,
I'm using PT MP 9 with Fast Track Ultra, and I'm trying to record a rhythm guitar track against a drum track (I'm using Maschine Mikro as a plugin). My real problem is latency - I'm recording dry, using input-only monitoring, and I notice that when I lower the playback buffer to 128 samples, I can sometimes hear some background "static" that goes away when I raise the number of samples. I'm pretty sure that I've read that the static is the result of the CPU being taxed because of the low buffer rate. My question is whether that static affects the recording quality at all. I have fewer issues with the guitar track being out of sync when I use the smaller buffer size (I get no static if I use a buffer of 256 samples or more, but then the guitar track tends to be behind the drums). Any input would be appreciated - also, if anyone has suggestions for recording rhythm guitar tracks in sync with other tracks, that information would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Default Re: playback buffer size and "static" with rhythm guitar tracks

I had the same problem, I'm Pro Tools MP 9 on Window's 7 (64bit) with a Keystudio 49 MIDI Controller, a M-Audio Micro Interface, and I'm running my Amp's "Stereo/Headphone Out" directly into the Micro. I noticed static or white noise during recording and playback. I found that sometimes you can disable your Virusware, you can turn disable you factory sound card, you can disable your Ethernet port, and the biggest thing, at least for me, was to turn off the WIFI switch on the front of my computer. That fixed it for me.

I don't know what Platform your running on but Avid has some suggested Optimizations for different operating systems. Here's the link for the Window's 7 suggestions, but you should be able to navigate back to find which ever OS your running.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349411

Good Luck,
Nick