Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 AM

Default Why can\'t you set MP3 quality defaults?

Maybe I missed how to do this when I purchased the MP3 option, but I can't figure out how to set default QUALITY settings for mp3 export. I want it to set the default for 256k and "slower-better quality" instead of the "128k-faster encode" that always comes up. It's a drag having to change this setting everytime. In the mp3 window there is a DEFAULT button. But how do you save your own default settings to 256k?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Avid

Default Re: Why can\'t you set MP3 quality defaults?

Pro Tools does not save your MP3 settings, so you have to change them each time. I've submitted a feature request for it to store those settings, as it does make sense that it should.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 AM

3 years later and they still haven't added this? :/

Last edited by altavek; 07-31-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Pro Tools does not save your MP3 settings, so you have to change them each time. I've submitted a feature request for it to store those settings, as it does make sense that it should.
Although you have bigger fish to fry, this is STILL a good idea.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Why can't you set MP3 quality defaults?

Automatic Delay Compensation or Saving MP3 Settings
64 Bit Support or Saving MP3 Settings

Yeah, I guess they have bigger fish to fry.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Ah... but how difficult can it be to program for saving those settings?

Write some values to a plist file ("save as default" button) and look them up when you need it again...

I'm willing to give Digi the benefit of the doubt that 64bit and ADC are a little harder to deal with..
Old 07-31-2009, 10:59 PM

Hence all their analysts, architects, designers, developers, and testers are busy on the really important stuff. Since the MP3 quality setting has a easy enough work around, it sits at the bottom of the priority list. That is the way software development goes.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Automatic Delay Compensation or Saving MP3 Settings
64 Bit Support or Saving MP3 Settings

Yeah, I guess they have bigger fish to fry.
The original post, and subsequent reply by Digi is 3 years old... They have been aware of ADC, 64 bit, and MANY other things for at least that long...

My comment was not intended to solicit half-thought out sarcasm, just a friendly poke in the ribs that there are other things that we would like as well.. Maybe I should have typed it backwards?

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 AM

Sorry if it came across as "half-thought out sarcasm." I was actually just pointing out that some things seem to happen very slowly at Digidesign. Even the high priority items, "bigger fish to fry," are taking a very long time to get done and therefore lower priority items with simple work arounds, "saving MP3 settings," are even less likely to get fixed. With Snow Leopard coming out in a little over a month from now, I'm guessing that they're concentrating their efforts on getting the current version of Protools to be compatible. No offense was intended and I'm sorry if I was too curt.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Sorry if it came across as "half-thought out sarcasm." I was actually just pointing out that some things seem to happen very slowly at Digidesign. Even the high priority items, "bigger fish to fry," are taking a very long time to get done and therefore lower priority items with simple work arounds, "saving MP3 settings," are even less likely to get fixed. With Snow Leopard coming out in a little over a month from now, I'm guessing that they're concentrating their efforts on getting the current version of Protools to be compatible. No offense was intended and I'm sorry if I was too curt.

Nah... I apologize for having a stick up my butt. I too easilly read emotion into forum posts and about 99-100% of the time I'm wrong

Digi just seems to be letting things go by.. things users felt were important in the past are still not addressed, and now there are more of those things. We are being told that we are heard, and that they are being seen to.. but so was this issue 3 years ago and it's still not resolved.. how much faith can a fella (or gal) have in anything being promised now?

I really don't want to come off as an anti-fanboi.. because I'm not. I like PT. A lot in some ways.. but it's not working right in some fundamental ways and it's lacking in others. I'll go back to one of my favorites.. PT8 released 8 months ago, 3 cs releases and still no fix for the scrolling issue other than one that a USER wrote...

You're probably right though.. with a new Mac OS due out that is likely their focus.. and those of us not using Mac aregoing to get a nose thumbed at us.. Face it... they knew about vista, xp and current release Mac OS's and still had a number of issues.. after the new Mac release they will be chasing those gremlins. I hate to even think of what will happen with Win7.

The whole situation just seems so reactive to me.. nothing proactive. Being a reactive company will never bring you to, or keep you at the front of the pack..

That's my soap-box for this week folks... Thanks for watching!

Peace!

Hobo Shave!