Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Core Audio problems on Intel iMac with Digi 002

I have just bought a Digi 002 rack and I'm trying to get it working with my Logic Pro 7.2.2 software. So I installed the Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 pack (including the core audio driver). Now my problem is that the audio is really bad when using other software than Pro Tools through the Digi 002 box. When playing back in Logic the sound have small chopps here and there, and with more than 2 audio tracks playback is slowed down with lots of chopps in the sound. I also get this error all the time: "Error while trying to synchroniza Audio and MIDI. Sample Rate 39492 recognized. Check conflict between Logic Pro and external device." (the actual number displayed varies from time to time).

The same goes for playback in iTunes, but there are no errors and just a few chopps here and there. I guess the problem goes on for other apps, but haven't tested.

As I said the audio works just fine in Pro Tools, and playing back a sample project there even at the same time as playing back a Logic project (through the system speakers instead of the digi 002) works flawlessly. So the problem is somewhere in the core audio plugin it seems.

My spesifications are:
iMac 20" dual core (intel)
1gb ram
Mac OS 10.4.7, with all software updates

So what's wrong here?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Core Audio problems on Intel iMac

I have talked to Digidesign about my problem, and it seems they are not sure, but think it might be a problem with the core audio plugin not beeing supported on Mac OS 10.4.7 (only 10.4.6). Anyone able to comfirm this? I tested a different computer today (with a different interface) on school with OS 10.4.7 installed, and there were no problems at all. But then again, that was a G5 with Pro Tools LE 7.1, not an Intel-Mac with Pro Tools LE 7.1.1. Also, I borrowed an Mbox (version 1) to try with my computer today, and got the same problem. And also this time Pro Tools works just fine.

If anyone with an Intel-Mac with Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 can confirm if this is a problem for them also, please let me know (that also includes if someone does NOT have a problem with this. Nice to know if it is a standard issue, or not...)

P.S. I have also tried with/without the cs1 update. No difference.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Doesn't anyone here have an intel mac with os 10.4.7?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Avid

Did you install the cs1 update to Pro Tools 7.1.1? If not, you need to - there are specific core audio bug fixes in that update that should take care of your problem.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 AM

After a complete uninstall and reinstall it suddenly works, but still it's real slow compared to using my M-audio Firewire 410. Any reason for this?

I mean. It works, and does what it is supposed to, but is much more prosessor intensive during plackback and recording compared to using a differen interface, or using built-in audio. Is this normal for this interface, or is there still something wrong?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 AM

hroar -

i am having the same type issues as you.
i just read this thread and installed 7.1.1 cs1
this made no difference.
logic is still choking when running on the 002 rack.
only at the highest buffer size will it playback ok.
but still clicks and pops.
when you say you uninstalled and then reinstalled what do you mean?
did you reinstall pro tools or os x ?
this sucks , i just bought a new imac 24" and it is great except for this issue.
bummer.. any info would be greatly appreciated.
HELP !!!

----------------
iMac 24 inch
2.33 gHz
2 GB ram
500 MB
Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 cs1
Logic Pro 7.2.2

Old 09-27-2006, 10:30 AM

I did a complete uninstall of PT 7, and and then reinstalled. But the issues are still there, only not as bad as the first time. Now I can actually play som of the material I have, but it still clicks and pops etc. Espcially when resizeing the arrange window in Logic (while playing). This is no problem on other interfaces or when using buil-in audio. I have also done a few tests now with activity monitor, but stangely enough the CPU usage are the exact same with or without the use of the digi 002 rack. the only difference is the 7% wich is used by Digi CoreAudio Manager. But that shouldn't make such a big difference. But I guess there is a bug something that makes the current version useless on Mac OS 10.4.7 on an Intel-based mac. I think we'll just have to wait for an update...
Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 PM

Oh, my god, this is the EXACT problem I am having. Here's my post at Ableton:

"I use to have a PC 2.26Ghz and windows XP home. Just got a mac mini (intel-mac) 1.66ghz duo core, 2gb ram with OSX 10.4.7. My interface is an mbox with protools LE 7 (fully undated). I have Live 4.1.4. The problem is is that whenever I open any of my songs off my external hard drive, they play back as digital noise and seems to be at a much slower tempo (and they use to play fine on the inferior Dell). Ableton recognizes the mbox (as seen in preferences) but everything i have is not playing back correctly. However, my protool sessions play fine. Whats the deal? Thank you. I do all my production in Ableton and only vox in pro tools so help is greatly appreciated."

From what I can tell, it's a horrible time to have gotten a intel mac.

I'm thinking of returning it and just getting a new PC. And macs were suppose to be the bomb.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM

I have had an e-mail conversation with digidesign, and they tell me it's a "potential" bug with OS 10.4.7, so the only way to fix it is either to downgrade to 10.4.6 or wait for the next update...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Did you install the cs1 update to Pro Tools 7.1.1? If not, you need to - there are specific core audio bug fixes in that update that should take care of your problem.
I'm having the very same problem on my intel imac with logic 7.2...

installed update above and still no joy... Still getting horrific noises unless I set the buffer to 1024! My built in audio handles 64 with no problems! Don't suppose the email converstion mentioned an ETA of the 'next update' did it!? I'm guessing not!

Gav