Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Assertion error in line 478?

Anyone know what an Assertion Error in line 478 is?
It´s not in the answerbase.

I have two offline fade-files in my session (all audio is on-line). I want to remove them so I open the porject browser search for the two buggers. I select them an hit "delete selected" from the toolbox. A window pops up and asks me to confirm that I want to remove then (both fades have a length or 0ms BTW, wich is also weird). I hit remove. After that the fades still appear in the fade folder of the project browser. I repeat the whole procedure only to get the mentiones error-message.

The off-line fades are still there an are not re-created on start-up.

Any hints?

Frank.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Assertion error in line 478?

An assertion error is a debugging message inserted into the source code of a program by the programmer. Usually, these aren't visible because they're not supposed to be compiled into the release version of the program. But, sometimes things slip through the cracks.

The error condition is supposed to be handled in the release version by the graceful, robust error handling mechanism designed into the software. Oops.

By the way, I did have a similar problem with some fades that, when opening the session in PT 6.9 would give me an error message (not the same one you're seeing) then let me continue with opening the session. The error message even gave the timecode that the offending fades were at in the session. But if the same project was opened with PT 7, the program would just completely crash and burn!

The solution was simply to remove the the fades in 6.9 (guess I was just too lazy to do it when I first saw the error), save the project and open it in 7.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:

The solution was simply to remove the the fades in 6.9 (guess I was just too lazy to do it when I first saw the error), save the project and open it in 7.
Well, that´s what I was doing and led to the error. Is there another way to get rid of the buggers? Unfortunately when selecting the fade in the project browser PT doesn´t show it´s locations and I am most certainly not goig to look at all 9000 fades on 160 tracks to find them.

I´m on 6.9.3 BTW.

Frank.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM

the only time i ran into this, i had to remove ALL fades from the session, and reopen it and recut all the fades.

i beleive it happened because i was creating a fade when i was playing back (and maybe it was autosaving?). i dunno. but it suct. and that was the only solution i had.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash