Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Can you "Paste to original location" for MIDI

Is there a way to paste MIDI data to the same location it was copied from (on to a different track) without the playhead being at the start position of the copied data?

thx
Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Can you "Paste to original location" for MIDI

Yes. Turn "link timeline and edit selection" off.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Yes. Turn "link timeline and edit selection" off.
hmmm, thanks much for the reply...i don't think thats what I'm look for though. I want to be able to just quickly select a few notes from within a midi region, hit copy, then just select another track and paste them, and have them land in the same spot as where they were copied from. i guess what I'm asking is there a way to paste without pasting to where the edit selection is? In logic it was "Paste to Original Location". A useful feature for arranging / orchestrating your track...
Old 09-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
hmmm, thanks much for the reply...i don't think thats what I'm look for though. I want to be able to just quickly select a few notes from within a midi region, hit copy, then just select another track and paste them, and have them land in the same spot as where they were copied from.
It will do exactly that. Give it a try, you'll see that it works without moving the playhead or timeline selection.

In the Edit window:
  1. Turn "link timeline and edit selection" off.
  2. Make sure "link track and edit selection" is turned on.
  3. Copy your notes or clip
  4. Click the nameplate of whatever track you want to paste to
  5. Paste

Or, if the MIDI Editor window is more your flavor:
  1. Turn "link timeline and edit selection" off
  2. Make sure "link track and edit selection" is turned on.
  3. Open the MIDI Editor window
  4. Copy your notes
  5. Click the destination track in the Track Selector panel on the left of the MIDI Editor window
  6. Note the hide/view state of the track, bullet point means it's shown
  7. Paste

A Third, and easier method would be to select your notes or clip, and alt/option drag them to another track. If "Link timeline and edit selection" is off, the playhead and timeline selection will not move.

Last edited by mesaone; 09-23-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: D'oh, I typed "right" when I should have typed "left".
Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 PM

woot! thx for the detailed instructions... I must have missed something before. It works! thanks much-
Old 09-23-2013, 03:14 PM

No problem.

I find the MIDI editor to be the easiest of the two methods, but you have to be familiar with how the track list works... It's best to turn on MIDI color coding, so it is easier to tell that things have pasted to the track you intended.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 PM

This might be faster. With link edit selection and timeline on and link track and selection on, you can just copy the notes you want (C) and press P or ; for moving the selection up or down a track, and paste (V). The destination track can be in any view. You can just go right down the track list pressing : and V, That's it!
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.

Last edited by soybalm; 09-23-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
With link edit selection and timeline on and link track and selection on
I think OP wants to keep the playhead where it is, and have the selection be independent.

Your method is the easiest for clips, but wouldn't work for non-contiguous note selections or if the timeline selection shouldn't move..

EDIT: actually it would work for non-contiguous note selections, as long as the track view selector is set to "notes" rather than "clips". I didn't think of that since I never show notes view in the timeline, not enough space for all that info without having a huge track height
Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=mesaone;2086265]I think OP wants to keep the playhead where it is, and have the selection be independent.

Your method is the easiest for clips, but wouldn't work for non-contiguous note selections or if the timeline selection shouldn't move..

I missed that about the play head. The destination track can be set to any view as long as the track is selected. I haven't tried multiple tracks selected but I'm sure it works.

I like the not view for a lot of tasks like this because it's faster for just a few notes and the command for scrolling is just all three keys down CTL, Start, ALT, besides track height commands. Also you can see a little representation of notes not in view at the top and bottom of the view. True that the midi editor is probably mouse friendly but I like working in context. In the midi editor, if you put in notation view, be careful moving notes around while in play like you would do in Logic. If timeline and edit selection is linked and you are in play, you kill the sequencer engine. I used to like it when I could hear my edit immediately while I edited notation notes for composing complex chords or melodies. I can still loop a small passage and edit with link turned off.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.