Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-04-2009, 03:47 AM

Default Dumb question

Hi all, last time, a friend came with his electro project he did with Logic.
Just the fact he imports his tracks and the HD was at 87/96 voices !

Don't you think there is a probleme with this HD wich cost 8000 vs Logic costing 500 ? Or it's me who's dumb ass ?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Dumb question

I don't understand the issue here---or what the question is. However understand Logic is an application, Pro Tools HD is an entire solution---big difference.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 AM

Haha I'm sorry, I really understand that PT HD is an entire solution but when you pay 8000 Euros for it, you should hope you can have unlimited tracks.
My question is : what may be my answer to my friend who import his project and can only apply 10 plug ins ? Here, what's the advantage to buy a system wich cost 16x the price of his Logic, the one he can have all his tracks and 40 plugs ?

I don't want to be unpleasant, I really love pro tools but sometimes, I'm asking questions ....
Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo26 View Post
Hi all, last time, a friend came with his electro project he did with Logic.
Just the fact he imports his tracks and the HD was at 87/96 voices !

Don't you think there is a probleme with this HD wich cost 8000 vs Logic costing 500 ? Or it's me who's dumb ass ?

Hi,

Are you comparing the 2 DAW's only by the amount of tracks you can run? and the quantity of plugins? Well yes that is quite a dump question

And Logic @ €500 what interface did you get for that?

Pro tools can have up to 192 audio tracks and unlimited midi tracks!! how many do you need?

Perhaps Garage band would have been the right DAW for you? it has many tracks and plugins and loops to use and everything, and it costs less than Logic

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 AM

don't feed the trolls.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 PM

I'm not trolling, you just don't answer my question.
Yes I'm comparing by the amount of tracks, I'm not in my right ?
I'm comparing prices betwen DAW without AD/DA, why are you talking about 192 ???

This is not trolling, it seems you just can't answer my question, I'm HD owner and it's sure I'm not ready to change my DAW because of Edit, Mix etc. But my question was, don't you think 8000 Euros for such a little tracks and plug is just excessive ?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 AM

Ugo:
I have to ask - how many tracks were actually playing at any one time? A lot of people that work in other daws use a ton of tracks but rarely do they all play at the same time. It's because those types like to have every little nuance of a softsynth on it's own track which will bloat the track count.

And if you need to use more than 10 effects on a track, something somewhere really needs to be re-thought. Sheer numbers don't always tell the story and can be misleading when playing the specsmanship game.

QAPLA!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 AM

T r o l l
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Stop accusing me trolling ....

Thx musicman, you're right but he is doing electro music so he takes natural sounds and distroy them with lot of plug. I think he is about 57 tracks on his Logic not counting stereo ones so, on PT HD, we have 87 voices used without plug.
I was hoping I was wrong but, after reading all this useless answers (excepting you musicman) I think it's really sad we don't have much voices available.

I was waiting for answers like it's because HD is a DAW who's doing this/this and this to your audio so he can't do better but it's something you can't have on any other DAW.
It seems I was wrong ...
Old 12-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo26 View Post
But my question was, don't you think 8000 Euros for such a little tracks and plug is just excessive ?
When you buy into an HD system, you dont do that to because of high count tracks which you CAN have but that aint the reason for HD.

You purchase

KNOW HOW
Technology
Stability
Pro Grade Plug-Ins.

Take ONE listen to Logic's stock plugs but keep a mighty bag in your hand, you're going to want to vomit because most of them sounds like crap. And those who dont lack many features.

If you wanna compose etc Logic is a mighty DAW but if you want CLIENTs to pay RENT for your studio you might as well forget about it. Logic's stability equals that of russian nuclear power plants.

A DAW aint about track counts and how many plugs you COULD instantiate. Its about HOW the DAW works and how many head aches it DOES NOT cost you per year. If I had to run logic for one year you might have to find me in the loony bin.