Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-20-2021, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 10 CPU 90/100 % , What's wrong?

Darryl types faster, but there still may be valuable info here so I'll leave it up.

Denormalization is not a plugin. Its a phenomenon that is caused by certain plugins and placing a Dither plugin in front of the "bad" plugin can solve the issue. The way to determine which plugin(if any) are guilty of this, make plugins inactive(one at a time) until the cpu meter drops. Try sticking a Dither plugin before the offending plugin.

Next, depending on your experience level, the 3 slow drives(below) might still be a contributing factor, if you are not on top of Disk Allocation(which means where your audio files are). Its possible to have a session(in a session folder) on a fast drive(where it belongs), BUT you may have audio files that are actually streaming from another drive(like one of these slowpokes)

SAUVE BB 2 (F:) : 4TB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Seagate ST4000LM024-2AN17V (4TB, USB/SATA300/600, 2.5", 5526rpm)
Ralph 5 TO (G:) : 5TB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Seagate ST5000LM000-2AN170 (5TB, USB/SATA600, 2.5", 5526rpm, SED)
DISK 2021 (H:) : 4TB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 (4TB, USB/SATA600, 3.5", 5425rpm)

How does that happen? Its usually operator error(something I know well). 1-Maybe you made a new session and imported session data form a slow drive. Depending on how you did that, the new session might be retrieving audio from the original drive. 2-Another easy goof is; you saved a template session to a slow drive>later on, you OPEN that session and start recording to it and then you save it to your fast recording drive(or you THINK you did). What you actually did was save the session file to the recording drive, but it is pulling all its audio from the template session's Audio Files folder on the slow drive

Personally, I would pull the slow drives out of the computer and put them in external USB drive cases. Connect them when you need to backup files to them, and keep them disconnected(without power) when you don't need them Last warning on external drives, never disconnect them without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" function(and never with Pro Tools open as PT will not release any drive, even if its not streaming data).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2021, 03:29 PM

... or simply open Workspace Window / Volumes and put the slow drives to Transfer mode. There are three modes, Record/Playback/Transfer and they pretty much explain themselves.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:39 PM

Or just move the sessions to the fast NVMe drive... like he already has ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (DUC need way more emoticons)

Yes its easy to have media outside the session folders but I'll give the benefit of the doubt here and this is not even a main issue here, while slow disk can cause DAE CPU errors it's not going to cause the CPU meters to peg.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:00 PM

Moving session does not solve anything, unless Sace Copy In or move files to fast drive(s) too. But that workspace trick prevents record/playback to slow drives (which may be a catalyst for moving files to fast drives)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 04:20 PM

thank you for all the tricks , i will try that.

All my files are already on the NVMe disk , but i moved them to this disk...
so at first , there were on an external disk.

had Just put the slow drives in Transfer mode ( T T / T T / T T)
Old 03-06-2021, 01:55 PM

BTW, expecting "better performance" is wishful thinking as you are killing your own performance by running an old 32 bit program(Pro Tools 10) on a slick new 64 bit machine. The old software can't take advantage of more than around 3.2GB of your RAM and probably runs slower due to the OS not being optimized for running 32 bit programs. When I moved from PT10 to PT11(which is a 64 bit program), I did see a solid performance boost(of course, each major PT upgrade seems to require more power to execute all the new features)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave