Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Problem with recording MIDI piano sustain pedal

Hi Everyone !
I have DIGI 002R, MidiExpress (MOTU), 88 keys kbd controller, and I use all sorts of sound modules, both hardware, and software. The monitoring latency is a drag when using virtual instruments (why can't they overcome this simple problem ? I guess it's just the way Digi 002 works). Anyway, When I play MIDI keyboard with transport stopped everything is OK. The minute I start recording MIDI all of the sudden sustain pedal drops off notes erratically, for no apparent reason. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can record for 20 seconds fine, and than all of a sudden the sustain pedal doesn't hold notes, drops off, only to come back fine few seconds later! Surprisingly all of the 64 messages are recorded by the MIDI track, and on the playback they sound fine. It's just DURING recording, that sustain pedal behaves erratically. I've tried several different keyboards, different sustain pedals. I even tried to connect Yamaha MO 8 directly to USB bypassing MOTU. All the same. The same thing happens when I use hardware synths ( no monitoring latency thank goodness !!). The sustain pedal is always unpredictable. It ruins my MIDI performance. I was never able to record MIDI properly on Pro Tools. I always recorded audio directly anyway, bypassing MIDI all together when it comes down to piano, electric piano, solo synths etc. This time I have a serious project, that specifically calls for MIDI grand piano data. With this project it's essential to deliver great MIDI piano performance. I've tried to record audio, and MIDI at the same time. When I record just audio, it's fine, pristine etc. The second I start recording MIDI along with audio, the sustain pedal drops off again. What's going on ???? Did anyone experience this problem before, or it's just me ? Any response deeply appreciated.
Chris7514
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Problem with recording MIDI piano sustain pedal

No, you're quite right. I suggest you submit a Bug Report Form.

Good luck.

filosofem
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM

Just monitor the audio of your keyboard/module while recording the midi playing. Don't assign the midi track until after recording or try muting it during. Worst case senario...unhook the midi cable going to the midi input of your controller until after you finished recording. It seems like a midi loop is happening that isn't being filtered out or muted.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Problem with recording MIDI piano sustain pedal *DELETED*

Post deleted by Chris7514
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 PM

Hi !
I just tried to solve the problem. No luck ! Moreover, I also discovered, that I am not able to manually edit sustain pedal data. I simply cannot move the starting, and ending point of sustain pedal curve in edit window. What's going on ? I'm in a slip mode, and the line just doesn't move ! I wanted to "hold" notes just a little bit longer on the sustain, till the end of the bar. To my surprise I couldn't move the pedal release point any further... I also discovered, that in the PT Reference Guide there is NOTHING about editing MIDI controllers entries. Shame on you DIGI !!! Not that I need it, but for a little bit more of the "professionalism" on your side I would suggest to look through the manual, and write missing chapters ( provided that someone from DIGI reads my messages). The only way I can change the point of release the sustain pedal message is by typing the value in MIDI event list.
Am I missing something ? Why can't I just "drag" the point of release in edit window ? It works with the starting point ! I can move it earlier,just fine, but I can not keep the sustain pedal "pressed" longer, unless as I said, I enter manually a value in MIDI event list.
Chris7514
P.S. I'm going back to Cubase for MIDI recording
Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 AM

Try wrapping the MIDI region in a Region Group this way related Meta Data is stored, Time Stamp it (User) and Export the Region Group to the current sessions Region Group folder.

Trash the DAE and Pro Tools Perferences, reboot, start a new session and import that Region Group. Spot it and Ungroup.

Can you edit the Sustain Event data without using the Event List?

By the way, information relating to Continuous Controller Events starts on page 539 of the .pdf 7.4 Reference Guide.

filosofem