Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Editor Sent Wrong Frame Rate QT for my Final Mix

Have never had this happen and had been getting the proper Qt at 29.97 for months.

1. Session frame rate is at 29.97 in PT 6.7
2. The editor sent me for a final cut to cut accidentally at 25fps. I did not notice it because everything seemed to line up and if there was a small bit of drift in the dialogue in this reel, it was hardly noticed by me since it was the short reel.
3. When I went to bounce the 5.1 and the stereo mix, I just happened to notice that the frame rate in theof the QT Timline Window was at 25fps and a 29.97 QT as I had been given previous after a week of work.
4. I did the bounces anyway and sent it to my DVD encoder who does great work, like for DreamWorks etc. He tried to line the mixes up and they are matching the picture obviously since the original sync was 29.97fps.
5. Now getting a new QT with 29.97 very soon.

My question is: When I get this new corrected Qt and import it into the original 29.97 session of the final mix will have to redo the work to sync everything up again? Or..Someone mentioned to me there might be away that it can be done without having to do all of it by hand, moving things back into place. Is that something that can be done by re-importing the new Qt and the proper frame rate? It probably seems like a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask just in case there is something I can do with Session Setup or importing etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I am just trying to avoid redoing all of the hits and etc. to a different sync point with the correct cut.

Regards,

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-02-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Editor Sent Wrong Frame Rate QT for my Final Mix

Some more trivia ( sorry for taking so long really really busy )

VIDEO 30 FPS = 24 FPS FILM SPEED
VIDEO 29.97 ND or Drop = 23.976 FPS FILM SPEED

Telecine Machines run film at 23.97 into 29.97 Video

24 FPS to 23.976 = 0.1% slow down
25 FPS to 23.976 = 4.1% slow down

23.976 + .024 FPS = 24 FPS

in the case of video speed printmasters the audio is pulled up to film speed,normally at the lab.
you'll need to get the Quick time conformed to the proper speed as listed above.

cheers
georgia

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 02-03-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Editor Sent Wrong Frame Rate QT for my Final Mix

Thanks for the post. The problem after 4 hrs with Digi Tech Support is not with me here, but with a wrong sample rate issue on the tape to tape transfer. We think we have it figured out now, but it was a tough one.:) David P at Digi Premium Support was SUPER and hung in with me all afternoon and continue to amaze. He worked as an adr guy at Disney and etc. and that was real helpful.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS