Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 04:45 AM

Default Ok whats the WORSE audio/midi program you have used?

Ok I was just thinking of programs I would run from. It seems that most of the garbage is on the windows side of the fence. I don't think there are too many on the Mac side most Mac users will not put up with crappy programs.

Wiz
Old 02-19-2003, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Ok whats the WORSE audio/midi program you have used?

Cubase on a PC, but that was a few years ago. I guess things have evolved now (or at least I hope so for PC users! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

6am eternal
Old 02-19-2003, 07:25 AM

Logic,
those damm goofy meters that disapaer if there is no signal.
I realize the main problem I have with logic is not knowing it, but still, the app just ssems to defy ...logic.
THe inabilty to easily see two differnt tracks next to eachother while editing close up...UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 02-19-2003, 07:54 AM

Opcodes Vision for Windows.

I was quite happy with the Mac version...

Stein Tore
Old 02-19-2003, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chompers:
Logic
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I concur. When I owned it a little while back, I read the entire bible-of-a-manual and it STILL seemed goofy. I was coming from a Pro Tools perspective of editing audio, etc. - right before the 001 was introduced. I couldn't get rid of Logic and the MOTU 1224 fast enough.

I said it before and I'll say it again - Logic Audio seemingly has nothing to do with either logic or audio.

However, I understand they're making their editing functions more ProTools-esque in the newer releases. That remains to be seen. Bear in mind I'm speaking strictly about audio functionality.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 AM

Another vote for Logic being the least intuitive program. I tried to learn it, I really did, then I gave up. I couldn't come to terms with wanting to learn this app when I already know PT and Reason pretty damn well, just made no sense.

------------

Logic Audio - it is rocket science.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:27 PM

Like Chris Coleman, I came from a Pro Tools background (TDM, before the 001 days) when I bought Logic, and at first I was a bit thrown off.

But the funny part is that I learned Logic within 2 weeks and became very comfortable with it, and when, 1 year later, I tried to come back to Pro Tools, I was totally thrown off: what, you can't even select two audio regions that are not touching each other? You can't select the guitar 1 in chorus 1 and the guitar 1 in chorus 2, and move them horizontally or vertically?!?!

What, you can't edit the start point of an audio region while looking at the whole waveform, especially what's before the start point??!? Pro Tools is the only DAW on the market that doesn't have a real audio editor with those features, and yet everybody is claiming it's audio features are the best!???

And after working a week or two in PT I came back into Logic, and thought: what? You can't even select a part of an audio region to erase??! And it goes on, and on...

So I guess it's really all about getting used to a particular DAW.

But Logic 6 is supposed to have all those PT features, while keeping the Logic features that PT lacks, so if it works well, it could be the best of both worlds. We'll see.

Quote:
those damm goofy meters that disapaer if there is no signal.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Never seen that, that must have been in Logic 3?

6am eternal
Old 02-19-2003, 02:26 PM

I have to disagree with Chris....I have been a deep ProTools user for over 3 years now....I mean every day 18 hours...I totally agree that it might be a little difficult to grasp....but ProTools user who go to Logic try to use Logic like ProTools....that doesnt work...I read the Manual once...and the LOGIC is there...it made perfect sense on how the ProGram works...

I am sorry but there is nothing like having a Mix Template and tracking session open at the same time and dragging across from session to session your audio files...when your ready to mix....

and the editing is far more superior then ProTools...the sample editor is excatly how it should be....and the fact that I can setup my mixer the way I want to every time is a must....Automation is extremely tight with its curve features.....

here is another cool feature...all my key commands are excatly like ProTools...I re assigned all my hott keys to mimic protools...so I am acutally faster on Logic then ProTools because of Rubber band feature and multi windows for different things....and the best thing of all the user has to manually allocate his audio files....there is nothing like a random audio file trying to allocate to the desktop or to another drive.....I can keep going but my conclusion is

Yes ProTools is a great piece of Multitrack Audio Software......but Logic is a fantastic Digital Audio/Midi Workstation....especially since my Le software limits me 24 tracks and my Cheetah drive gave 64track at 44.1k on LAP.
I make beats - Love that line
Old 02-19-2003, 02:41 PM

logic and/or cool edit pro
Old 02-19-2003, 02:54 PM

okay....I agree with Cool Edit Pro....and well Fruityloops and Acid....
I make beats - Love that line