How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM

Default dual monitor - mix and edit on separate windows

Hi

I've been googling this issue for hours now, and it still keeps bugging me:

Bought a second display for my macbook pro, running pt 2018.3.0 on a OS 10.13.4 (High Sierra)

I can drag my mix or edit window to the second screen and it will sit there nicely while my session is open. But after having saved, closed and upon returning to pro tools, both windows will open on the same screen.

This is not the biggest issue in the world and Pro tools is running fine, but I know this should be possible. I just, for the heck of it, can't figure out how to have my display settings saved.

I've tried messing about with window configuration list, new configuration and had auto update active configuration on and off... Nothing seems to work though. What am I missing?

Best,
Jeppe
Old 04-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Default Re: dual monitor - mix and edit on separate windows

Hi Jeppe,

I’ve had the same problem before as well. What worked for me is if I slightly resize the Pro Tools windows to be a little smaller so they don’t go to the edge of the monitor screens. If you have the edges of the ProTools edit and mix windows all the way to the edge of the screens I think it can’t tell that they’re supposed to be on different screens and it puts them on the same screen when you restart the session. I can’t say for sure how much I had to resize the windows but you want to see a little bit of your desktop background around all of the edges of the PT windows. Hope that works.

Dave

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 04-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. In the meantime I think I might have stumbled on a different solution, that - at least for the time being - seems to work:

Swiping up with three fingers on my touchpad opened "mission control" (Is what I think it's called). I the dragged and dropped the edit window from my primary to my secondary screen, saved it, closed session, opened it up again and... Voila! The edit window sat right where I left it on my secondary screen!

I'm sure it'll be gone tomorrow, but for now this solved it for me.

Edit: Upon closing pro tools completely and re-opening I was back to square one. Fortunately, a combination of Dave's advice and the mission control trick seems to retain the window placement data, even after a reboot.

Last edited by Husmas; 04-04-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Found out more stuff
Old 11-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Hi Jeppe,

I’ve had the same problem before as well. What worked for me is if I slightly resize the Pro Tools windows to be a little smaller so they don’t go to the edge of the monitor screens. If you have the edges of the ProTools edit and mix windows all the way to the edge of the screens I think it can’t tell that they’re supposed to be on different screens and it puts them on the same screen when you restart the session. I can’t say for sure how much I had to resize the windows but you want to see a little bit of your desktop background around all of the edges of the PT windows. Hope that works.

Dave
Thank you for this, Dave. This seems to work on my end. (haven't re-booted the computer, but at least when I close/re-open session it works).
Old 11-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
What worked for me is if I slightly resize the Pro Tools windows to be a little smaller so they don’t go to the edge of the monitor screens.

Yep, this is what I have to do. It's a pain, but life goes on...

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-21-2018, 12:30 PM

I've had dual 24" before and it was OK, mix on one, edit on the other. Using my MackBook Pro mostly now I got a less than $200 43" 4K TV for a single monitor, if you scale it right it's amazing the way you can spread stuff out and still see. YMMV!
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 05-12-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Hi Jeppe,

Dave

It's amazing that I've had to do that same trick in 2021!
I've granted PT full disk access to my Mac but nothing worked.
I had to do a search here to see what others have done.
So yeah, thanks for this tip!
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 05-12-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
It's amazing that I've had to do that same trick in 2021!
For me, this is one of many signs that Avid is not keeping up. Many things not being taken care of over many years.

I've been using multiple displays on macs since digidesign days and I must say I'm impressed with how the latest versions of macOS are handling displays - and "spaces" nowadays.

I have PT "assigned" to my 2nd display (a little known setting found if you right-click on an application in the dock, under "options".) PT remembers to open on the 2nd display, but fails to remember that I have mix and edit on different spaces.

Actually, I recently returned a mac mini M1 w/bigsur because of too many small things, like this, not working. The option to "assign" an app to a screen is simply gone in BS.

Best tip I've seen is to use "Window configurations".
I haven't gotten to it.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husmas View Post
Hi

I've been googling this issue for hours now, and it still keeps bugging me:

Bought a second display for my macbook pro, running pt 2018.3.0 on a OS 10.13.4 (High Sierra)

I can drag my mix or edit window to the second screen and it will sit there nicely while my session is open. But after having saved, closed and upon returning to pro tools, both windows will open on the same screen.

This is not the biggest issue in the world and Pro tools is running fine, but I know this should be possible. I just, for the heck of it, can't figure out how to have my display settings saved.

I've tried messing about with window configuration list, new configuration and had auto update active configuration on and off... Nothing seems to work though. What am I missing?

Best,
Jeppe
Here is what I do. Size the Mix and Edit window how you like them then close each window and reopen it by selecting it from the Window menu. The window positions are then saved. I don't know if the positions are retained after a reboot because I very seldom reboot but the positions are maintained after restating Pro Tools.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:18 PM

Reducing the window size is still needed in Ver 2023.6.0.

Given the subscription being paid every year for "updates", this is sad.