Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-25-2018, 07:26 AM

Default Pro Tools wont launch.. Buffer size problem

I just purchased and installed Pro Tools but now when I try to launch it I get the error message "Your adio device is configured with an unsupported audio buffer size. Please select one of the following supported buffer sizes in the device Control panel, if avaible: 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048."

I have been using Avid Media Composer and other softwares without any problems so I don't understand what this is about.. Won't I be able to use Pro Tools with my Blackmagic Decklink 4K Extreme 12g?

Can't change buffer size in any device settings for the card outside of the software so I don't know what to do here...
Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools wont launch.. Buffer size problem

What interface are you using? My RME UFX is capable of buffer sizes in it's ASIO control panel other than what Pro Tools allows. If I try to use one of the "off" buffer sizes, I get the same error message.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-25-2018, 04:13 PM

And, since we know nothing about your setup, if you are running Windows, make sure that Windows is not using your interface(BlackMagic) as its default playback device as that can lockout Pro Tools from controlling sample rate and/or buffer size

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-08-2020, 06:31 AM

I'll bump this because I had this happen after I was working on a session all night. During the session, I set the samples to 192. But Pro Tools did not complain. I finished my session and closed down. I did not realize I set it to an unsupported rate.

Nothing seemed to work, such as pressing N. So what I did was open another DAW where I could have access to the buffer settings. For some reason the fireface does not allow me to set it in its own settings.

Protools works fine otherwise I can go in a change the buffer settings. So I am not sure why it would allow me to set it incorrectly and then block me from opening pro tools the next time.

Seems to me there has to be a better way to make this work for people.

Windows 10 64 PC Intel Core i7 9700 3ghz 64 GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
Eleven Rack - connected to USB
RME Fireface 802 (connected to fire wire)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Culver View Post
I'll bump this because I had this happen after I was working on a session all night. During the session, I set the samples to 192. But Pro Tools did not complain. I finished my session and closed down. I did not realize I set it to an unsupported rate.

Nothing seemed to work, such as pressing N. So what I did was open another DAW where I could have access to the buffer settings. For some reason the fireface does not allow me to set it in its own settings.

Protools works fine otherwise I can go in a change the buffer settings. So I am not sure why it would allow me to set it incorrectly and then block me from opening pro tools the next time.

Seems to me there has to be a better way to make this work for people.
Since you are on Windows, my earlier comment still matters. If Windows is using your interface as its "default playback device", that is likely the reason for your issue

Old 05-09-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Since you are on Windows, my earlier comment still matters. If Windows is using your interface as its "default playback device", that is likely the reason for your issue

Thanks for posting.

I have tried this solution in the past as well for another issue that this was supposed to solve and it does not work on my system. In fact, just to be double sure. I made sure my Fireface 802 was not used by Windows.

I opened Pro Tools. Se the Sample size to 192. Pro Tools complained that it could not access my audio device because it is being used by another program.

It did not say anything about 192 not being supported. Did not give me an option to change it to something else. Just to Try Again or OK.

Then a message came up that the hardware device was set to an unsupported sample size. I clicked OK. And Pro Tools crashed.

Tried this a couple of times.

So after this, each time. The only way to fix it is to open another DAW and reset the sample size.

Trying to open Pro Tools even with n does not work. Disabling the Fireface 802 in Windows does nothing.

I get the same results if the interface is used by Windows or if it isn't.

I have also trashed my preferences recently. In fact I have had to do that several times in the last week or so.

Anyway, have other things to do than go around in circles on this. But the information is here if anyone can use it.

Windows 10 64 PC Intel Core i7 9700 3ghz 64 GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
Eleven Rack - connected to USB
RME Fireface 802 (connected to fire wire)
Old 05-14-2021, 11:42 AM

Hi... I recently had this problem and noticed that it let me into Pro Tools when I downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver and then held down n when Pro Tools was starting up. Hopefully it will open with the new driver
Old 05-15-2021, 12:30 PM

2 things to consider:
1-I've been running Pro Tools since 2003(version 6) and have never seen a 192 buffer setting available. 128 and 256, but never anything in between.
2-ASIO4ALL is more of a "band aid" than a real solution. If your interface has an available ASIO driver, that would be the preferred one to use