Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Protools as a MIDI Sequencer

How powerful and flexible is Protool's MIDI features compared to Digital Performer, Q-Base, etc?
Are ProTool's MIDI capabilities strong enough to use as a stand only Sequencer?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Protools as a MIDI Sequencer

I've been using it for awhile and it's enough for me.
If you are used to fancy sequencers with lots of features like arpegiators and such, PT is not your best bet. But if you are looking for a sequencer as a midi recording, PT will be just fine.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:31 AM

I came from Studio Vision Pro to Pro Tools. Altough I miss some of the note-selection tools and MIDI processors, I find it very good. Timing is rock solid. The new features in PT6, like Groove Quantize, are a welcome addition. It ain't Logic, but IMHO, its capabilites are more than good enough to call it a stand-alone sequencer.

I do a lot of composing to video (documentaries, educational videos etc.), and I think the advantages of having both audio and MIDI in one application makes up for eventual shortcomings in PTs sequencer.

What do I miss the most?
- Drum editor
- Better select/replace tools

Just my opinion,
Stein Tore
Old 10-16-2003, 11:36 AM

I've started to use Pro Tools for midi and generally it's fine. However, in comparison to Digital Performer, the ability to change tempos, make tempo maps, create ralls etc is very limited. I'm using V5.3. Is Pro Tools 6 any better in this regard?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I've started to use Pro Tools for midi and generally it's fine. However, in comparison to Digital Performer, the ability to change tempos, make tempo maps, create ralls etc is very limited. I'm using V5.3. Is Pro Tools 6 any better in this regard?
I think that is still the same.

Stein Tore
Old 10-16-2003, 12:34 PM

If you compose in a sequencer first and import the midi file, the tempo changes will remain. the fact that the PT sequencer won't do some thing as simple as this is really annoying. I'm using other sequencers that have way too many other features for me just to use the tempo change theory. I use it even in pop compositions cause it keeps me from falling asleep during the song. Does anyone know if Sibelius supports tempo changes?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Pro Tools is a MIDI recorder.
A MIDI sequencer can do things (and has to do things) that are not yet implemented in Pro Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 01:24 PM

Quote:
A MIDI sequencer can do things (and has to do things) that are not yet implemented in Pro Tools
Tron....please stay the f%%%&ck out if this. I do not have the time for your b&ll****. Congrats on another thread closed...

Stein Tore
Old 10-16-2003, 01:31 PM

I used to use Performer for sequencing and then import the sequence into Protools. I've started using PT for sequencing because I actually prefer the interface. For me the only stuff missing is tempo flexibility. A simple tempo map is pretty easy to make, but here are a few things you can do in Performer, but not in PT:

1. Ritards and accellerandos. In Performer you can specify a start and end point (bar/beat or time location) and a start and end tempo, and Performer will make a smooth tempo change. You can even choose from different curves for the "shape" of the change.

2. Calculate tempo. In Performer you can specify a start and end bar, and a start and end time, and Performer will calculate the correct tempo to make the length of the phrase work out.

3. Tap tempo. In performer you can create a beat by beat tempo map by tapping. For example you can tap along with a recorded performance and essentially "conduct" a click track to match.

These features really enhance the musicality of a sequence. They are also a big aid in scoring to a video. It's really nice to be able to identify a couple of hit points and then calcualate the tempo needed to fit a phrase between them.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 10-16-2003, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Good Point!!!!

Editing MIDI in Protools isn't very good always checking the sustain on a punch or edit.

I like the way other sequencers let you view in blocks and edit.

I think MIDI regions are clumsy We should be able to view MIDI tracks

by measure Phrase or beat And we can't loop a 2 bar phrase without filling in the

whole song. on and on and on.

Protools should have an extra MIDI Editor window! but what do you want everything for $10,000

MIDI Recorder yes Sequencer no