Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2003, 09:45 AM

Default BOMB FACTORY UPDATE.

From another audio message board.

-----sept 01 2003
We also have a definite bug in Pro Tools 6.1 where a few of our plugs are drawing funny. Both will be fixed as soon as we get the info we need; it's not in our code as the same code is in other plugins and it works fine on other versions of Pro Tools.

I spent more than 12 hours today (Sunday) trying to work around it on my side with no help from Digi, and will spend all day tomorrow (the holiday) doing so as well. Oddly, Antares has been more helpful than Digi as they got *ucked by Digi's release as well and they're chasing similar stuff.

Back to the point of this thread: compatibility is yet another reason I'm not eager to jump on the VST non-standard. It's hard enough keeping 40+ plug-ins running on Pro Tools systems alone.

--Erik

Old 09-07-2003, 10:46 AM

Default Re: BOMB FACTORY UPDATE.

Erik, at least in my opinion, is a jerk. He got kicked off this board for spreading around false information about digi trying his best to make them look bad to consumers. As can be seen by his email, he is arrogent at best, has a bad attitude and i almost wonder why digi even bothers with them(i sure as heck wouldnt i would say good ridence). All of their pluggs have better equivalants already so i dont see the need to use any of them.

Quote:
I spent more than 12 hours today (Sunday) trying to work around it on my side with no help from Digi, and will spend all day tomorrow (the holiday) doing so as well.
Well duh its sunday, and its a holiday tomorrow. Why would you expect digi to work on your problems, on their time, on a weekend holiday (or any weekend time or time after hours). Its your software, fix it. I am sure digi has supplied these guys with the latest SDK kit, so they should have all the information they need to fix their own pluggin problems.

As a software developer arent you supposed to and expected to continue updating your software for compatability reasons??? But what do i know i have a software engineering degree and used to be a software engineer. I mean while getting my software engineering degree this is one thing that was definately covered. Released software is never finished, its just usable till another software or hardware update breaks your software. Things change, software and hardware evolve. This is like digi saying we arent going to support windows xp or mac osx cause our old software does not work in the new OS's. Microsoft and mac changed code that deliberately broke our pro tools software and since they wont rewrite our broken code we will no longer support these OS's. This ia bull crap and i am tired about hearing about how digi persecutes bomb factory like nero persicuted christians in the first century. Its a load of bull, and i for one am not going to buy it, or BF pluggs ever again.

Sorry, i am just tired of hearing poor old erik whine about reality.

Christian

I know i keep editing, this post and updating, but boy am i tired of this foolishness on Eriks part. I would hate to know this dude, i bet he complains all the time, makes everbody around him miserable(as he did here), and never takes credit for his own mistakes.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Well duh its sunday, and its a holiday tomorrow. Why would you expect digi to work on your problems, on their time, on a weekend holiday (or any weekend time or time after hours). Its your software, fix it. I am sure digi has supplied these guys with the latest SDK kit, so they should have all the information they need to fix their own pluggin problems.

As a software developer arent you supposed to and expected to continue updating your software for compatability reasons??? But what do i know i have a software engineering degree and used to be a software engineer. I mean while getting my software engineering degree this is one thing that was definately covered. Released software is never finished, its just usable till another software or hardware update breaks your software. Things change, software and hardware evolve. This is like digi saying we arent going to support windows xp or mac osx cause our old software does not work in the new OS's. Microsoft and mac changed code that deliberately broke our pro tools software and since they wont rewrite our broken code we will no longer support these OS's.
well spoken.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:13 PM

I bet if he was nice to digi
they would have worked that weekend on it.

Programmers live to work and solve problems.
I was one of them for 10 years on Wall street
before I decided to come to the music world.

16 hour days, 7 days a week was normal.

Holidays? What was that...?

Old 09-08-2003, 04:12 AM

Two things...

1) Maybe Digi is tired of Erik's blaming them for everything and the bug was unofficially put there just to piss him off. Nah, I doubt it, but it would be funny!

2) The only reason I can see Digi telling HIM to fix it is anytime a company does a major version upgrade (hence 5.3.1 to 6.1) things are going to [sometimes] break. Digi obviously is trying to make things better in Pro Tools and the fact that the PC was a whole version behind on the MAC, something was bound to be enhanced in PT. Unfortunately it did cause an issue for Erik/Bombfactory, but I think he is complaining because he obviously didn't get to test his plugins on 6.1 before it was official. I don't know if that's Digi's fault or his, but it's one of the scenarios where he is saying "Oh crap, this was unexpected! Better scramble to fix it."

Anyway, despite his attitude towards others, the plugins sound great. It's not a perfect world we live in, so just be the bigger person and ignore his attitude. Use the plugins for what they are. Make your music sound great!

Regards,
Mark

PS - If only Eric Persing was the guy behind Bombfactory, we'd all be 110% happy customers.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:34 AM

its become fairly clear that Protools users are sick of bombfactorys issues and attitudes. the fact that digidesign have allowed UA to release their 1176 and la-2a plugings for TDM systems shows that maybe digidesign is sick of them too. now all we need is digi to let UA/mackie release RTAS plugins! come on digidesign your customers have spoken!
Old 09-08-2003, 05:03 AM

Yes, that would be awesome! I wish..
Old 09-08-2003, 09:14 AM

Coming from another continent; who was/is Eric Persing???
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 09-08-2003, 09:23 AM

Am I the only one who finds it strange why some of the BF plug graphics work fine and others wouldn't? I'm certainly no programmer, but why would the LA-3A be coded differently so as not to display right, when the LA-2A is just fine?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds it strange why some of the BF plug graphics work fine and others wouldn't? I'm certainly no programmer, but why would the LA-3A be coded differently so as not to display right, when the LA-2A is just fine?
It seems to me as though its poor coding practice. Usually SDK's indicate the best possible way to code software so that it will be easily evolvable through future updates. It also seems as though since 99% of all pluggins have flawlessly upraded with 6.1 that again its programmers error. There is no way to know for sure as the sdk is not publically released (which would be soooo cool). One way other the other shoddy programming practice that does not adhere to a uniform programming standard could easily cause this.

Christian