Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Default Waves live tdm, worth it in 2013?

hey guys, i'm looking at getting a waves bundle.
is it worth getting the LIVE BUNDLE?
do i have to get TDM to work with a venue/sc48?
keen to hear your thoughts.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Waves live tdm, worth it in 2013?

This is a good question, since TDM is -40% right now. It really depends how you look at it and what are your plans. Today, TDM licenses are what you need to run Waves plugins on VENUE and like they say, on any other live console. But Waves has said not to be supporting AAX DSP witch means, any upcoming Avid live consoles will most probably not be running Waves plugins, at least not internally.

Since Waves has announced co-operation with Digico, main competitor of VENUE consoles you might see what they are doing here, probably trying to get VENUE users over to Digico.

So you need to consider all this and decide. I personally have Mercury TDM since a long time ago, I feel like Waves is doing me wrong dropping DSP support and I personally plan not to invest into their products anymore. I will most likely be supporting Avid and once they come out with something new, I most likely will be investing into new generation VENUE consoles before I begin working on any other live desk as Waves plugins are not the only ones I like to run in the studio or on the live desk.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 AM

thanks for the great info.

i'm not really clear on how the OS relates to pro tools and plug ins on the venue console series.
for example, when a new OS is released for venue consoles will it all be AXX making TDM obsolete?

i was going to get waves for the C4 multiband compressor,
does avid have a good replacement?

thanks again!

jeremy
Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy glover View Post
thanks for the great info.

i'm not really clear on how the OS relates to pro tools and plug ins on the venue console series.
for example, when a new OS is released for venue consoles will it all be AXX making TDM obsolete?

i was going to get waves for the C4 multiband compressor,
does avid have a good replacement?

thanks again!

jeremy
This is about hardware, not software updates. Let me explain,

Older versions of DSP based Pro Tools systems and current VENUE consoles run DSP plugins, that are of TDM standard. Avid changed DSP on the Pro Tools side, now, new DSP cards for Pro Tools are not able to run TDM plugins anymore. There is a new standard or plugin type called AAX instead. Actually for DSP its called AAX DSP.

This means, that on older systems (and current VENUE's) you still can use and will be able to use TDM plugins forever. Or at least for how long the hardware works. AAX plugins on the other hand are not possible to run on old hardware. New standard, new plugins, new hardware. For Pro Tools new hardware already exists, the cards are called Pro Tools HDX cards. It is only logical to believe, that once there will be a new VENUE console, it will also be using this new standard and new plugins, the AAX DSP. So, for now you are safe with TDM in VENUE land, but buying TDM standard plugins is not future-proof, since it's, well, is not developed anymore.

If I were you, and the only thing I would need is a multiband, I would seriously think about getting a McDSP MC2000 instead of C4, cause McDSP has announced that they will come out with AAX DSP versions of their plugins. And MC2000 is better plugin than C4 anyways And has much less latency! 2 samples vs 60 samples of C4. So go and get MC2000 TDM, and when time comes, there will be MC2000 AAX DSP and you can keep using your plugin and investment in the future as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM

I suspect there will be plenty of used TDM systems in use for quite a while. If you move away from TDM there will still be a ready market for second-hand TDM plug-ins for some time.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM

thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
If I were you, and the only thing I would need is a multiband, I would seriously think about getting a McDSP MC2000 instead of C4, cause McDSP has announced that they will come out with AAX DSP versions of their plugins. And MC2000 is better plugin than C4 anyways And has much less latency! 2 samples vs 60 samples of C4. So go and get MC2000 TDM, and when time comes, there will be MC2000 AAX DSP and you can keep using your plugin and investment in the future as well.

Hope this helps.

Slight drift, But.

Have you had any issues with MC2000 interface on the latest versions? We took ours to MCDSP V5 and VENUE 3.0 Awhile back and we could only interact with the MC2000 via the mouse. The "insert" function didn't work anymore to adjust with the knobs.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystere1 View Post
Slight drift, But.

Have you had any issues with MC2000 interface on the latest versions? We took ours to MCDSP V5 and VENUE 3.0 Awhile back and we could only interact with the MC2000 via the mouse. The "insert" function didn't work anymore to adjust with the knobs.
Actually I think you are right! As unfortunately Avid has not given us Venue users ability do create plugin control maps I personally tend not to use "insert" functionality with plugins that have so many parameters. But still, this should be reported to Colin. I'll actually do it right away, been thinking about this for some time now
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I suspect there will be plenty of used TDM systems in use for quite a while.

I believe your right, waves still using TDM plugins for their own soundgrid multirack systems. might be also one of the reasons why they want to hold on to the TDM architecture.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM

Default Waves live tdm, worth it in 2013?

SoundGrid does *not* run TDM. SoundGrid had no TDM compatible Motorola DSPs involved, all the processing is x86 native, and no TDM plugin code actually runs anywhere with SoundGrid. This confusion happens because of what a Waves TDM license can let you do with SoundGrid, you still need to install/run the plugin compiled for SoundGrid with that license, it is all just a licensing/business decision for Waves to sell a remote running native plugin at a "TDM" price,