Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Waves 5.95 Preferences

I don't know how to fill out the Waves 5.9.5 Preferences window that comes up during Pro Tools launch.
There are check boxes on the left of each entry.
Don't use AudioSuite Plug-ins
Don't use RTAS Plug-ins
Don't use TDM Plug-ins
Don't use NetShell Plug-ins
HUI control surfaces support (low res)
Don't ask me again
(Hold the Shift key during launch to show the dialog.)
Cancel OK
-------------------
I don't understand why these questions are being asked. I understand all words individually. My dealer and Waves have supported me in the past with installation problems and they told me what to do and check "Don't ask me again". That's why I don't know what I have done in the past or why. I have a G5 dual 2.5/3gigs RAM/30" monitor (I am somewhat visually impaired) 30ft. away from machine room. Waves Platinum, Massive Pack 3, AutoTune, most bundled plug-ins from Digi bundled with systems from past "deals" over the years and Tranzport. How should I fill out these check boxes?
Christopher Kimball

C.K.'s Musical Workshop
4090 West Eaglerock Drive
Wenatchee, WA 98801
[email protected]
509-667-0648
Wenatchee, WA 98801
509-667-0648
Old 03-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Waves 5.95 Preferences

Think of it this way: Check items you know you will never be using. (It reduces the RAM footprint on your system and speeds up the launching of PT .) For example, if you don’t own a Waves hardware DSP box, you should check the “Don’t use NetShell Plug-Ins” box.

Once you made your choices, make sure to also check the “Don’t ask me again” box, unless you find the process exhilarating and wish to relive the experience every time you launch ProTools.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the help. I don't have any of the Waves hardware boxes. I still don't know what to do with the other check boxes. I get confused with all the decisions one has to make instantiating plug-ins. I bought TDM when it first started. I thought it would solve all these problems. One pays more for a TDM version and then it's changed to another kind and then that's changed because now there is RTAS and Digidesign doesn't support that new method they sold you. I don't know....I remember when I bought the first Pro Tools system and it had digital delay and some other effects built in. When I "upgraded" it ruined my ability to properly play back my clients mixes that contained echo. Lost my client. More recently I switched to the recent Pro Tools and lost everything that used MasterList CD. In my case this was everything. Companies keep changing the name of a product you already own. How come I am not informed by a direct mailing that my product has a different name? (Farm card...vintage Farm card). By the way CDs last at least 50 years and can be burned at 56 times real time and the current one...just add your USB 2.0 device and you are good to go! (my current problem) Should I just leave all of the other check boxes blank?
Christopher Kimball

C.K.'s Musical Workshop
4090 West Eaglerock Drive
Wenatchee, WA 98801
[email protected]
509-667-0648
Wenatchee, WA 98801
509-667-0648
Old 03-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Chris, here ya go:

Don't use AudioSuite Plug-ins DON'T Check
Don't use RTAS Plug-ins DON'T Check
Don't use TDM Plug-ins DON'T Check
Don't use NetShell Plug-ins DON'T Check - You don't own an APA
HUI control surfaces support (low res) Do You have a Controller? (HUI, Command 8, etc.) If not, DON'T Check. If You Do, Check It.
Don't ask me again - Check This one.

DONE!
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Chris, here ya go:

Don't use AudioSuite Plug-ins DON'T Check
Don't use RTAS Plug-ins DON'T Check
Don't use TDM Plug-ins DON'T Check
Don't use NetShell Plug-ins Check - You don't own an APA
HUI control surfaces support (low res) Do You have a Controller? (HUI, Command 8, etc.) If not, Check. If You Do, DON'T Check It.
Don't ask me again - Check This one.

DONE!
That isn't quite right. I've modified the selections.

Checking the box means that it won't load the plug, so you want to check off only the ones you won't use. You can always change your mind later by holding down the spacebar when launching ProTools, or by deleting the Waves preferences in the finder.

On a TDM system you can leave Audiosuite, RTAS and TDM unchecked.

If you never use Audiosuite, you can chck that one too. (If you don't know what Audiosuite is, chances are you aren't using it).

As for plugin types, these haven't really changed much over the years.

TDM will run on your TDM cards. This gets more complicated with older systems as the types of cards supported vary with the revision of the plugin. TDM plugs also may only run on certain DSP chips. The original DSP Farm used only one type of chip. Everything after that has multiple types of DSP chip, so you could get an error even if it looked like you had free chips - they are just the wrong type.

Audiosuite (AS) is for semi-destructive processing, in other words, you apply the setting to a region of audio and it writes a processed file, replacing the original. If you never do this, you can check that box.

RTAS (Real Time Audiosuite) is an upgrade on Audiosuite, allowing use in Real Time like a TDM plug but using your computer's CPU instead of the TDM cards.