Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-22-2022, 10:57 AM

Default How do I install Xpand2?

Hi!
I'm taking a class in Pro Tools Basics. I'm stuck at a very early level because the instructor wants me to select Xpand2 as a software instrument in an insert in a track.

I don't seem to have it installed, and have been completely flummoxed as to how to get it into my system. I found a download on Avid's site, which unzips to a .dpm file, but I have no idea where that should go.

I'm running Pro Tools Ultimate trial -- so I don't have much time and I need to get done with the class in four weeks.

Sorry for being so needy but I have no idea how to proceed.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:24 PM

Default Re: How do I install Xpand2?

Hmmm....
Do you own a copy of Pro Tools?
Do you have a My Avid account?
In that account, can you find a link to download the Creative Collection?
Hopefully you can answer the above with all "yeses". IIRC, Xpand2 is part of that collection(along with MiniGrand, DB-33 and a couple of other instruments)

If all else fails, maybe schedule a few minutes with your instructor, so they can help you sort it out

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-22-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi!
I'm taking a class in Pro Tools Basics. I'm stuck at a very early level because the instructor wants me to select Xpand2 as a software instrument in an insert in a track.

I don't seem to have it installed, and have been completely flummoxed as to how to get it into my system. I found a download on Avid's site, which unzips to a .dpm file, but I have no idea where that should go.

I'm running Pro Tools Ultimate trial -- so I don't have much time and I need to get done with the class in four weeks.

Sorry for being so needy but I have no idea how to proceed.
I don't know anything about a trial version BUT
But if you found the Xpand download on your account,, then yes just download it then open the DMG and click "install" it will automatically install into the PT Plugin's folder already on you system. (at least that is how it works on Mac)
Then you will find it in a session in the Inserts > Plugins dropdown under "Instruments"

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-22-2022, 02:22 PM

Consider; a .dmg file is for Mac computers(so if the OP is running Windows, that's the incorrect version to download). See why providing information matters?

Old 05-23-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Consider; a .dmg file is for Mac computers(so if the OP is running Windows, that's the incorrect version to download). See why providing information matters?
You are of course correct (since he said dmg I just assumed Mac) but assumption is no substitute for some actual specific info ...........

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-23-2022, 11:26 AM

Hi! Thank you both so much for the responses!

I did solve my problem. I am running on a Mac. I don't own Pro Tools -- I downloaded the trial version of Pro Tools Ultimate, which is allegedly the full version but only works for a month. I hoped that would be long enough to decide whether I wanna spend the big bucks on the program or stick to my Logic Pro ways. But somehow I had downloaded a faulty version of Xpand -- it didn't have the installer, so it wasn't putting the plugin into Pro Tools.

I found the correct link by logging into my Avid account, clicking on MY PRODUCTS, clicking on PRO TOOLS ULTIMATE TRIAL, and then clicking on SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD LINKS & PRODUCT DETAILS. Trial and error got me there!

Once there, Xpand is listed under PRO TOOLS PLUG-INS and its also one of about 25 downloads listed under Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle. I just went ahead and downloaded them all and installed them all, because I don't yet know what I don't know!

A simple search of Avid's website for Xpand did not take me there, so I was kind of at a loss as to where to find it.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response!

T
Old 05-23-2022, 12:54 PM

Glad you got it sorted. PT Ultimate is probably overkill and you might take a look at Pro Tools Artist or Studio. Ultimate is really aimed at large facilities, and over recent years, lots of features that used to be only part of the top tier have filtered down to the middle(Pro Tools Studio). And since they dropped Pro Tools First(thank God), the Artist version gained quite a lot(the main site shows a comparison chart).