How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 PM

Default Recommended USB>Ethernet for MC Mix

Hi.

I'm planning to buy a new Mac Book and they don't come with ethernet port. I know from colleagues that there are difficulties finding a USB>Ethernet hub that works with EUCon and Artist MC Mix.

Are there any hubs that Avid recommends or that a lot of users recommends?

I made a quick test with another persons MacBook and a USB>Ethernet hub called DeLock (62440 - USB3). Both the computer and EuCon recognized the USB-Ethernet port but the connected MC Mix was not found by EuCon regardless of static or dhcp ip.

Would a USB2 or USB3 hub be most likely to work.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Recommended USB>Ethernet for MC Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by oortone View Post
Hi.

I'm planning to buy a new Mac Book and they don't come with ethernet port. I know from colleagues that there are difficulties finding a USB>Ethernet hub that works with EUCon and Artist MC Mix.

Are there any hubs that Avid recommends or that a lot of users recommends?

I made a quick test with another persons MacBook and a USB>Ethernet hub called DeLock (62440 - USB3). Both the computer and EuCon recognized the USB-Ethernet port but the connected MC Mix was not found by EuCon regardless of static or dhcp ip.

Would a USB2 or USB3 hub be most likely to work.
A hub is probably not going to provide even moderately satisfactory performance.

There are a lot of timing issues in play with Eucon...plus Avid now recommends that Eucon be run on a separate network running only Eucon traffic.

I suppose it's worth a try, but even if you can get it to work at all, it's probably not going to give you even remotely satisfactory performance...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-16-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
A hub is probably not going to provide even moderately satisfactory performance.

There are a lot of timing issues in play with Eucon...plus Avid now recommends that Eucon be run on a separate network running only Eucon traffic.

I suppose it's worth a try, but even if you can get it to work at all, it's probably not going to give you even remotely satisfactory performance...
That's bad news but thanks for the info.

I'd imagine running one single Artist Mix would produce quite a moderate amount of data. Should be much less than multichannel linear audio (my hub happily transmitts 64 channels) anyway. Sounds to me like their protocol is obsolete in that case.

Is there any information on development for for users running modern MacBooks without Ethernet port? I mean this problem must be solved for Avid to keep their MacBook "Artists" as customers. They are all going to buy MacBooks without ethernet sooner or later.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
That's bad news but thanks for the info.

I'd imagine running one single Artist Mix would produce quite a moderate amount of data. Should be much less than multichannel linear audio (my hub happily transmitts 64 channels) anyway. Sounds to me like their protocol is obsolete in that case.

Is there any information on development for for users running modern MacBooks without Ethernet port? I mean this problem must be solved for Avid to keep their MacBook "Artists" as customers. They are all going to buy MacBooks without ethernet sooner or later.
oortone, the problem is not "timing issues" (whatever that's supposed to be), bandwidth requirements (an Artist Mix would barely touch USB 3.1), nor technical intricacies of EUCON. The problem is EUCON is poorly-written, stone-age code. And, instead of fixing, updating, and improving EUCON, Avid is circling the wagons by severely limiting the hardware on which it can be used.

Concerning a suitable USB => Ethernet adapter, I asked that question on this forum six weeks ago (here). I never received an answer. I asked the same question, in PM exchanges with Avid tech support, and never received an answer - even though they were the ones that recommended I go with a USB => Ethernet adapter.

If you're committed to the Artist Series, you'll have to join the rest of us and hold your breath for the next version of EUCON. We're all hoping and praying that Avid revamps EUCON with modern and capable code, worthy of the Artist Series potential.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 AM

Thanks o-wyo.

I suspected that's the problem too. If they don't answer I guess they haven't found a usb hub that's sufficently reliable. My experience from my occasional use of MC Mix through different Mac OS and Firmware versions is that it's never 100% consistent. You'll never now for sure it will work if some single parameter in the setup is changed.

I guess one reason could be that originally the Eucon protocol was designed for big venue mixing. Not consumer/artist products.

It's a shame since it's a beautiful and well designed piece of hardware. If it had been usb like many other small control surfaces I'm pretty sure it would have worked like a breeze.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I guess one reason could be that originally the Eucon protocol was designed for big venue mixing. Not consumer/artist products.

It's a shame since it's a beautiful and well designed piece of hardware. If it had been usb like many other small control surfaces I'm pretty sure it would have worked like a breeze.
As originally intended and implemented by Euphonix, EUCON over Ethernet was a fabulous idea that pretty much covered all the bases. It ran on the most basic of networks and up into advanced networks that relied on bonded Ethernet ports, VLAN, etc. The initial implementation of EuControl, while crude by today's standards, also showed a lot of promise.

Alas, that was a long time ago, technologically speaking. And, ever since Avid acquired Euphonix, EUCON & EuControl have been left rotting on the vine.

I certainly agree with you about the Artist Series being a beautiful and well-designed piece of hardware (courtesy of the former Euphonix). That's why a lot of us are still hanging in there.

Last edited by O-WYO; 03-17-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:58 PM

This is so depressing - the MC Mix as a piece of hardware is a good thing but Eucon has been the weak link in my set up from the moment I got it. Ultimately it is such a drain on the creative process because you always have to get your head into techie mode. It has totally soured my opinion of Avid and I for one will never buy or recommend any of their equipment because of this. Obviously they will never fix Eucon it will go to Code Hell where it belongs and I guess my MC Mix is now worthless.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:41 AM

Hi,I think you should use a thunderbolt /ethernet adaptor from Apple.
Gives you a gigabit port and works perfectly on Eucon.The MacBookPro has 2 Tbolt ports and the MacBookAir.
Dom

www.labomaticstudios.com