Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 05:15 AM

Default System Crash - Any help out there?

Digi says that they know this happens sometimes, but no fixes offered.

Everything is perfect for 3 hours - then the screen freezes. Mouse works, keyboard commands work, save works, but everything else on screen does not work. Requires a re-boot.

Anyone have this problem? Any fix?

Thank you!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:29 AM

Default Re: System Crash - Any help out there?

what is your setup, software version/build, computer, drive type etc....?! Might be able to help with a bit more info....
Old 01-31-2003, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by protooleriate:
what is your setup, software version/build, computer, drive type etc....?! Might be able to help with a bit more info....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">G4 Dual 500 / 1 gig ram / Mac OS 9.1 / Latest Pro Tools HD3 / Glyph Firewire / Waves / Digi / Antares / DUY / McDSP Plugs.

Thank you...
Old 02-01-2003, 06:24 AM

I´d suggest updating to MacOS 9.2.2 first...

Peter
Old 02-01-2003, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Markk:
Everything is perfect for 3 hours - then the screen freezes. Mouse works, keyboard commands work, save works, but everything else on screen does not work. Requires a re-boot.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This isn't a Digi problem; this is a MAC OS problem.

I'd examine your system folder, and throw out anything that doesn't specifically relate to ProTools or other related programs. For example, get rid of all unnecessary extensions, control panels, printer drivers, fonts, the works. It never hurts to have a clean, sparse System Folder. The only non-standard control panel I run is QuickKeys, but I consider that essential.

Me personally, I'm also skeptical of connecting a DAW to the Net. It's not so much that I'm afraid of a virus coming in and trashing the system; it's more a question of processor time, and having, say, a bounce get interrupted by something happening in the background. And needless to say, I'd never run anything in the background during a ProTools session. (I confess to occasionally pausing ProTools, then launching Toast Extractor, and using that to copy a sound file to a hard drive -- only because I find this is faster than copying from within PT. But the moment that's done, I quit Extractor and go back to PT.)

I'd also make sure you have a TON of RAM. 1 gig isn't too much. If the crashes consistently happen after 3 hours of work, then I'd wonder about fractured memory.

And if all else fails, talk to Tech Support, or at least go through the Digi Answerbase. A lot of "constant crash" problems are dealt with there, and most of them are relatively simple to troubleshoot.

--Marc
Old 02-01-2003, 04:25 PM

wild guess : energy saving settings ? there shouldn't be any energy saving function active

try the apple answerbase, sometimes there are bug fixes posted there.

good luck [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2003, 04:52 PM

Energy saving would be my guess, too. Make sure you haven't disabled the control panel in an attempt to build a lean and mean extension set (you need to leave it active). Also, just to be completely sure, trash the prefs for this, and build a fresh set, setting to "Never."

Definitely upgrade to 9.2.2 ASAP. You may find that your problems disappear.

Lee Blaske
Old 02-01-2003, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
Energy saving would be my guess, too. Make sure you haven't disabled the control panel in an attempt to build a lean and mean extension set (you need to leave it active). Also, just to be completely sure, trash the prefs for this, and build a fresh set, setting to "Never."

Definitely upgrade to 9.2.2 ASAP. You may find that your problems disappear.

Lee Blaske
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thank you. Looks like version 9.2.2 fixed it. I really appreciate everyone's help and contribution. Having this forum greatly adds to the benefits of owning a PT system.

mark