Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-21-2022, 10:22 AM

Default Pro tools is unable to communicate with hui

I am trying to use an Arturia Minilab controller but repeatedly get the above error message.

I have updated firmware
Run protools as administrator
Tried running as hui and m-audio controller
Controller works fine in other programs

Haven't seen any other solutions. Please help! I am remembering why I ditched protools for the last decade and regretting my choice to return.

Last edited by Kungfumonk007; 05-21-2022 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-21-2022, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Pro tools is unable to communicate with hui

Zero system info = zero help. Start here.
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Old 05-21-2022, 12:25 PM

Computer model and processor speed. ASUS A15 Ryzen 5 4600h

OS version Windows 10

Pro Tools version whatever the latest - subscription

Amount of RAM installed- 32gb
Old 05-21-2022, 02:26 PM

That's the bare minimum info but not going to solve many problems. You've not described what setup you are doing or any instructions you are following. Very likely this is something you are doing wrong and nobody here can guess that.

Do you have the Arturia MIDI control center software installed and are you able to configure the keyboard/controller though that?

Do you have it working as a MIDI keyboard with Pro Tools. If not I would get that working first.

Is the HUI controller configured in Setup>Peripherals>MIDI Controller?

"tried running as HUI..." but what exactly are you setting stuff to how are you trying to do this...

You need to say clearly what exactly you are doing and what exactly is happening.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-21-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:59 PM

I set up the controller correctly including the midi control center and updated the firmware.
Yes I set up the peripherals. First as HUI, then as M-audio because another thread said that might work. I also tried all other combinations. I am only trying to set up a basic keyboard for EW opus. The controller works fine when I open EW Opus directly, it only fails when in protools. It worked for about 5 seconds, glitches, the error message came up and now it does not work. I rebooted, tried different USB ports and nothing changes. I uninstalled and reinstalled the device from my computers settings.

The only weird thing is under the midi input devices menu it says "arturia minilab mkii [emulated]" I don't know why it says [emulated] if that is normal or not.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:34 PM

So basic keyboard for EW opus... I'm not sure what that means? Does EW Opus (never used it) need/do anything with HUI?

If you just want to play notes from the keyboard into the EW Opus VI then that is nothing to do with HUI. And the common mistakes are not rec arming the track the VI is inserted on, not having Pro Tools in MIDI Thru mode, or not having the correct MIDI input channel (or "all") assigned to the track.

Showing the "Instrument" section in the mix and/or edit windows will often help troubleshoot stuff there. Do you see MIDI notes events in the Instrument section of the track (the small Instrument "meter" moves)?

Sorry if you've been thought all that, I cannot guess how familiar with this you are but you need to keep digging to lower layers. If MIDI is not showing up in Pro Tools then a MIDI sniffer app may help find problems.

And I'd always start with MIDI Grand as a test VI. Create a trivial test session, don't muck around in a real working session.

"Emulated" should be fine, it refers to an old style Windows MIDI driver (MIDI layer not HUI directly). You should just follow the directions for the OS for that keyboard, install whatever latest/correct MIDI driver they say, or no MIDI driver at all if it's not needed.

Keep saying exactly what you are doing and seeing, much more competent folks about MIDI stuff on here, and on Windows, than me.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:53 PM

BINGO! It had to be something stupid. I didn't have the track armed. Then when I went to A thread for help it said to go to peripherals and that got me all turned upside down. Thank you for your help!
Old 05-21-2022, 04:03 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. There are too many layers of stupid things here scattered in too many places. Pro Tools does needs a clean up of basic MIDI stuff, and a lot more to improve the MIDI experience.

And had I designed this I might done something like display the MIDI events in the Instrument display for a track, but not pass them to the track/record them unless record was armed. At least that might provide more clues of what is happening.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-21-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And had I designed this I might done something like display the MIDI events in the Instrument display for a track, but not pass them to the track/record them unless record was armed. At least that might provide more clues of what is happening.
You're HIRED!
Old 05-22-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
You're HIRED!
Heh...I don't think we can afford him

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave