Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-17-2022, 12:49 PM

Default Problem with Analog Inserts + Routing in Pro Tools

Hi Everyone! Would love some help solving the issue I have outlined below.

When I use an Analog insert within a track (just as I would a plugin insert), the audio will not come out of that track. However, if I route that same track audio to a buss or folder, the audio will play as normal.

Is this a glitch or something? It doesn't make any sense to me. Would love help from the community on how to fix this, as nothing Im trying works.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 05-17-2022, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Problem with Analog Inserts + Routing in Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeapen View Post
Hi Everyone! Would love some help solving the issue I have outlined below.

When I use an Analog insert within a track (just as I would a plugin insert), the audio will not come out of that track. However, if I route that same track audio to a buss or folder, the audio will play as normal.

Is this a glitch or something? It doesn't make any sense to me. Would love help from the community on how to fix this, as nothing Im trying works.

Thanks,
Andrew
First thing I would check is to make sure your I/O is configured properly and that the analog insert is routed to a real analog in and analog out on your device.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:37 PM

Terminology: You mean hardware inserts. That's what to look for in the reference guide and online.

Did you read the reference guide or look at a tutorial for how to use hardware inserts?

Hardware insert IO has to go to a matched pair of inputs/outputs (which obviously cannot be the IO ports you are already using for other stuff). Do you have those pair connect with an outboard device? What exact device is that? Is that device working? But start with a straight through cable.

If you want help you really should describe/show in detail what you're doing. What IO ports are you trying to use? On what interface? Screenshots of your track showing the inserts and setup>IO>insert page would likely help. Get started with a single mono audio track in a test and a again just straight through cable and confirm when you unplug the cable the music stops.

And a frequent repeated community announcement: you may just be better off using plugins, faffing around with hardware inserts may just not be worth the hassle, especially if you have to keep physically recabling stuff, and many plugins sounds as good or better than great hardware boxes.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-17-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:48 PM

Thank you all for the responses! I have solved the problem.

I had all of my routing correct, which is what made the problem so hard to figure out.

After a lot of trial and error, I was able to solve the problem by turning off 'Low Latency Monitoring' in the drop down menu. Apparently when that is selected, you are unable to use outboard gear in the typical 'insert' way.

Thank you!
Andrew
Old 05-17-2022, 06:27 PM

Great you got yourself going but Pro Tools (2022.4 at least which I just rechecked this on) does not bypass hardware inserts in low latency monitoring mode.

What exactly is this "typical way" are you actually using the hardware insert features of Pro Tools or are you setting up stuff yourself say with sends and aux?

Pro Tools (2022.4 at least which I just checked this on) does not bypass hardware inserts in low latency monitoring mode.

Again a serious lack of details of what you are doing and what you setup is.

But but... the low latency stuff is so unbelievable a confusing mess and lacks any decent documentation and I suspect it's not really working as intended.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:27 AM

Andrew I will just add a bit to what Darrel has said

First the best most efficient way to get any help from the forum it to take the time to list your system (i.e. like I have in the "signature" section of the "User CU" )

With out that info it is very difficult to offer and meaningful ,targeted , suggestions.

I don't have Low latency monitoring so I can't check that

But this below sounds to me like a routing problem
Quote:
If in fact if by "Analog insert" what you actually mean is a Hardware insert (which BTW can be either analog or digital) then it should work regardless of whether or not it is directly on an audio track or on an Aux track

Really helpful tools for diagnostics are screen shots particularly when talking about routing You might consider taking some screen shots of your Input , Output and Insert tabs in your I/O

For example here is my Hardware Insert routing

My 2 channel HW Compressor (labeled 3U Red arrow ) is routed in and out physical channels 5&6
My Stereo HW Reverb (labeled M7 Blue arrow ) is routed in and out physical channels 7&8
On my inserts tab 5&6 and 7&8

Input

Output

Insert

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 05-18-2022 at 07:12 AM.