Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Window content too small

When I open up Pro Tools First, everything is perfectly okay.

(As you can see, the toolbar is perfectly normal)

But then, as soon as I open up a project (either opening one or creating one), it gets all weird and small, like the resolution is cranked too high. The toolbar is also 'cut-in-half' and shorted a whole bunch, even after I go fullscreen.

I have a 3840x2160 monitor and it's scaled up to 225%, since I like the look that way.

It helps a tiny bit, if I crank the scale up to 350% (the biggest I can), but it's still pretty small, and the toolbar is still all messed up. It doesn't help if I change my resolution to 1920x1080 either.

I use Windows 10 and Pro Tools First 12.8
Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Avid

Default Re: Window content too small

PT First is only supported on up to 1080x1920 resolution. Are you on a 4k resolution? Let us know.

Thanks!
Tope
Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 AM

I just downloaded Pro Tools 12.8.3 and am having the same problem. Did you find a resolution?

The most frustrating part is it worked fine the first few times I opened Pro Tools but now I'm getting the tiny windows and no visible menu bar. Help!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 PM

Ditto...just installed 12.8.3 on a new Dell XPS 15, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299 Build 16299 with 15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display. Application scree size was somewhat bearable for a day or two then, and not sure why, it started getting incredibly small. Have tried changing resolution size (not the approach I'd like to take), and display setting scale properties (not very successful with this), and changing application properties to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode, etc. (no significant change).
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 PM

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem with the tiny ProTools 12 display after opening any virtual instrument in a DellXPS 15 with 3840x2160 screen resolution. When I open the software without those inserts the display is completely normal.

Please HELP!!

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 AM

My solution was to select the protools shortcut properties, then compatiability, then under settings check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by", and specify system in the dropdown list.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 PM

Sorry to resurrection but this problem just cropped up out of nowhere tonight. My screen looks exactly like what the OP posted here at the start of this thread.

I haven't been using my Pro Tools 10.7.1 program since last summer and tonight when I opened it up, it looked absolutely fine and normal for the first hour or so......... then it all went to hell.

But then after clicking through a few things in the dropdown lists like Midi Editor, all of a sudden my windows font sizes were reduced to sizes so small you can hardly make out what they are. I don't know what happened here. I am running windows 10 on a pretty large monitor (not sure the size or resolution just off hand) but I never had this problem before in the year and a half that I used PT on this computer.

I tried closing PT and re-opening it, I even restarted the computer and the problem still persists.

What the heck just happened and how can I resolve it?

Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 inch
SATA III SSD

1 TB spinner drive 7200 RPM
Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM

I just found this video that might save the day. Not sure yet because it's just too late to give it a try, I have to call it a night but it looks promising. Fingers crossed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHv6B6qzBU

SATA III SSD

Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 PM

As luck would have it, that didn't work!

I tried to select Windows 10 but the highest version of Windows listed in that dropdown box is Windows 8, which is what I selected but it doesn't work.

My PT screen is too small now and I can barely read the Pro Tools toolbar at the top of the screen, I can just see the tops of the letters. If I open a recent session, it comes up and everything looks like it used to but now it's so small you can barely make it out.

This kind of B.S. is what takes out a lot of the potential fun that one might get out of doing home recording.

Any ideas out there?

SATA III SSD

Old 02-23-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
I just found this video that might save the day. Not sure yet because it's just too late to give it a try, I have to call it a night but it looks promising. Fingers crossed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHv6B6qzBU
And it definitely saved the day! It helped me! Soooooo happy!