Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Default Mixing Issues... Help Appreciated

Okay so I'm going to make this short and sweet, and definitely require some help!

I just finished recording guitars for these current sessions I'm working on. I have Compressed (lightly) and Eq'ed both guitar tracks in one session so far and set the levels as need be. Here is my question:

I've gone to apply the EXACT same settings on different sessions; so same compression settings, fader levels etc. but the Mix sounds entirely different. Not necessarily in tone, but rather in level. The guitars are way louder on this other session, and of course that being said, the drums are quieter. Also, the compression hits at like -6dB rather than -2dB, -3 for guitars. I had changed absolutely no levels etc. on my preamp during the recording process, each instrument was recorded all that the same time on their respective day.

What is the issue and how can I fix this? Of course the songs need to be consistent and failure is not an option... Thanks appreciate the help.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Mixing Issues... Help Appreciated

The Guitar Out Aux level goes at about -6 on the meter (as opposed to be being set as -3 on the fader). is it just a matter of matching the levels on the Aux track for each session? I also noticed some of the input levels on the right panned guitar were different somehow... But I did absolutely nothing during the recording session to alter that... What about the way the compression hits?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 AM

if you bypass all plugins on both sessions...still different ?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Copy/paste settings and factory presets seldom if ever work well for getting a consistent sound from song to song. Unless each session contains the exact same song recorded the exact same way, each one needs to be mixed separately by ear. Let your ears tell you when they sound right, not your eyes. Expect to have a mastering stage after all mixes are done to complete the task of matching the songs in perceived level and tone. That's just what it takes. Always has.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Yes I've just discovered that in one song, the strums are twice as hard as others, that's just the way it is, that's the way the song goes. Thanks for the advice, I had thought it was a tracking fault or something.