Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-13-2004, 06:03 PM

Default TLM 103? wondering if it\'s worth keeping?

I've only tried it on a couple of sources (room mic for drums and male vox) my first impression is?..... well I'm not sure??? it seems ok but no "Magic" am I missing something?

Then I plug in my BLUE Blueberry and the sound comes alive. These mics are in the same price range and I was wonderring if you seasoned TLM 103 users have found it's nich yet?

Any ideas, or should I just trade it in and get something better?

Thanks

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 11-13-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: TLM 103? wondering if it\'s worth keeping?

I've used the TLM 103 on numerous sources where it shines.

1. Female Vocals - It's my favorite female vocal mic. Crisp high end, gives a vocal presence.
2. Kick Drum - on the opposite side of the spectrum I love this mic on a kick (mainly for Jazz, but I've also used it for many other styles) And it can withstand a kick--as long as your drummer is not going to go crazy.
3. Acoustic guitar - Full-bodied warm sound ---great for fat jumbo bodies strummed with a pick (I prefer Earthworks SR77's on acoustic guitar usually, especially for fingerpicking)
4. Piano - mmmmmmm.... nuff said (although placement is key and so is the quality of the instrument)
5. Upright Bass - Clear, defined, punchy, and all while balancing neck and string noise beautifully.

It's not going to sound like a BLUE mic and a BLUE mic is never going to sound like a TLM 103. They are different beasts. Blue's tend to color your sound, which is preferable for many sources (escpecially male vocals and room mics). The TLM 103 is a "bright mic". When used as a close spot mic it gives a vocal or an instrument presence.

I would not trade it in. I pull out the TLM 103 for almost every session I run. But if you are looking for a great male vocal mic---I would go with the BLUE. If you are looking for a great all around mic I'd go with the TLM 103. As for a room mic - that really depends on how your room sounds.

www.slicerecords.com
Old 11-13-2004, 09:41 PM

I like the TLM-103 with Averill Neve 1272 and Distressor for female vocal.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:03 AM

Mic choice is subjective, but I too thought the TLM 103 was dull. I sold mine. I prefer the AKG C414, Studio Projects C1 and Rode K2 over the TLM 103.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:26 AM

I also felt that the TLM103 wasn't overly impressive.
Tried it with ME-1-NV, ISA-220, PA-2, and VT737 on male vocals.
While it didn't sound bad it just didn't sound right.
I guess the real key will always be having different mics and pres' to try for various jobs.
The Studio Projects C1 is also another mic that's ok but I find that it increases the need for De-Essing with a lot of male voices.
If you are shopping for a male vocal and room mic and the 103 doesn't do it for you then it doesn't do it for you. Continue your quest but hold on to the 103 until you find something you like.
It might be that you find other applications for it of find a pre-amp combination that makes it shine.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:32 AM

I use my TLM103 for voice-overs ,and sometimes female vocals. Depends on the singer. It's a killer on voice-overs.

Stein Tore
Old 11-14-2004, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the responce peoples!

On Male vox I couldn't be happier with the Blueberry, it seems to always hit the spot. The Air and presence is fantastic without getting harsh or needing De-Essing at all, and the voice just cuts right thru any mix, no problem.
I forgot that I'd also tried the 103 on a cutaway acoustic guitar but the KM184 outshined it and that's what made me a little curious as to its ability to be an allrounder. I just couldn't seem to find a good placement for the 103 and ended up having to EQ it to taste where as the KM184 just sounded good all around the guitar.

When I used it as a room mic for drums, it kind of sounded a little trashy where as the Blue had a crisp engaging sound that was fun to listen to.

I'm not trying to compare the two mics, I know that they are different beasts, it's just something I'd noticed right away and it started me wondering what others are using the 103 for. I'm going to need to test it out on other sources and see if it actually suits my taste but so far I'm not very impressed.

I guess I'll give it a go on Female Vox (I've got a session comming up for that) the BLUE tends to sound a little thin on Fem Vox if they don't have a lot of body to their voice which is 70% of the time so that might be the mic of choice for that application.

What I'm really interrested in is the Blue "MOUSE" although not a kick drum mic, it's rumored to be the best kick mic out there, I use an Audix D6 right now and it has produced great results, far better IMO to a D112 or SM52 but if the Mouce is all its made out to be then I'm up for giving it a try........hmmm

So as you can see, I'm in swap mode.....TLM103 or BLUE Mouse?? DON'T KNOW YET

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 11-18-2004, 10:19 AM

OK I've found the TLM 103 to be allright but not phenomenal. Actually I find it kind of lifeless to tell the truth, but that's my opinion and I'm sure there are people out there who like to work with it, so I'm thinking of getting rid of it. If anyone is interrested, it's brand spanking new with the shock mount and James Bond aluminum case that has space for a couple of these guys.

you can email me at [email protected] if you're interrested.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 11-18-2004, 02:42 PM

Just shows you that this all subjective. I did a mic shootout about 3-4 years ago. I tried several mics in the under $1000 category. AT-4050, AT-4060. AKG 414, and several others. None of them were doing it for me. Then I plugged in the TLM-103 and it was exactly what I was looking for. I still use it just about everyday on vocals, VOs, and acoustic guitar. I use it with an Avalon 2022.