Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 11:20 AM

Default Re: HEAT in 2021

Thanks Midnightrambler and Noiseboyuk, your input has me not itching so much about hitting that reinstatement deal just to try out Heat for a year.

I'm very happy with SSL Native Channelstrip and Bus Compressor pretty much all over my mixes that I have established since aquiring the SSL UC1. It's not like I don't have plugins if I want to add color and character.

(Dave, just a curiosity, I use a trim on the last instance of instrument and audio tracks, but I have them all set to +6. Let me explain: With my Command 8, regular levels, in the green, the meter LEDs on it almost never light up more than the bottom led. Almost no visual feedback. So my solution: almost all tracks are boosted on the last insert, I set metering to pre-fader, and I can adjust the levels on the channelstrip f.ex and get a rough idea of the level looking at the Command 8. Then, all sub-mix aux'es, drum aux and so on have a -6 trim on the first insert so the level is pulled back (and are healthy levels thru the strip) before going to master output. This means the meters in the mix window is slammin', but I don't worry about it in 24 or 32 bit sessions. It sounds fine. Go on critics, chop my head off. End to off-topic.)
Old 12-03-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Thanks Midnightrambler and Noiseboyuk, your input has me not itching so much about hitting that reinstatement deal just to try out Heat for a year.
Well on the other hand some people swear by it. I guess it's mainly down to whether it works within your own workflow. Adding it on at the end just doesn't do it for me. I will try and make an effort to do a mix with it switched in from the start at some point..
Old 12-07-2021, 07:24 AM

I bought a heat license a few months ago, mostly out of curiosity. I like it and it’s part of my template now but you definitely need to use it sparingly and from the very beginning of the mix.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
I bought a heat license a few months ago, mostly out of curiosity. I like it and it’s part of my template now but you definitely need to use it sparingly and from the very beginning of the mix.
From the beginning of the mix is the key. I myself keep it at "ten to two" position and only touch the master once I am close to finishing the mix.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:32 AM

I also use it on everything except the lead vocal. It may seem counter intuitive but it helps it cut through the mix just by virtue of sounding slightly different than everything else.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:36 AM

What does it do for you?
When do you want more of it, when do you want less?
This is applied before everything else in the signal chain, right?
Just curious.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:46 AM

Think analog desks, which all have their own sound due to different electronics. Activating HEAT in the beginning of the mix gives you certain feeling of harmonic distortion, which affects to your decisions regarding EQ for example.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:52 AM

If you're familiar with using saturation on individual tracks, it's like that but more subtle, if used the way I do. The best way I can describe it is it makes everything sound slightly bigger and more aggressive. It can be used to great effect by putting it just on the rhythm section for a little extra (I hate to say glue), but glue.

If you've ever used Sonox's Inflator, it's sort of sounds like that but less mid forward.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:21 AM

If someone wants to send me a simple session with some drums and bass or whatever, I'm happy to pop out a few files with HEAT on it.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
If someone wants to send me a simple session with some drums and bass or whatever, I'm happy to pop out a few files with HEAT on it.
I don't doubt that you can make it sound good. I just think that it's a question of workflow. If I strap this across my board, will it be a good tool for me, or will it get in my way. I will eventually find out.