Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-03-2021, 04:43 PM

Default Perpetual License Annual Subscription New Help !!!

Yesterday I followed the link to the 1-year upgrade and support plan for perpetual users. It is an offer to keep your perpetual and reinstate it. The offer is only for Dec 2021. So I bought it.

Now my old license states: "This license has been crossgraded to a subscription on Dec 03, 2021. You may continue to use this license but note it can no longer be upgraded."

But the new license is stating "PerpetualSubscription" ???

what on earth is going on? the last thing I want is to be on the subscription model. Have Avid hoodwinked me onto their subscription model or is this what a perpetual licence now looks like? i.e. "PerpetualSubscription"

I want to stay perpetual but Avid insist on never using clear and easy terms for anything. Like not calling a reinstatement a reinstatement which would help all perpetual users. in their marketing this offer is called 1-year upgrade but win their website its is called an Annual Upgrade.

If someone on subscription could confirm please that "PerpetualSubscription" is not an actual subscription, that would be great.

I raise a support ticket but in true Avid style they just closed it without answer it lol I do not know why they even pretend to have support.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

I bought one but my old license now states "This license has been crossgraded to a subscription on Dec 03, 2021. You may continue to use this license but note it can no longer be upgraded"

but the new license states "PerpetualSubscription"

so am I still on perpetual ? are they using the subscription mechanism to extend the perpetual ? it is very confusing.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Perpetual License Annual Subscription New Help !!!

Hi. Welcome to the DUC.

We've been discussing this for some time on the forum:
Pro Tools reinstatements

We've not recieve any clarification from Avid on this yet. I'm waiting for them to reply to my mail to sales.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:52 PM

Avid folks, I know you're reading this, this is bordering on scandalous now. Come on! It's time for you to clarify.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Perpetual License Annual Subscription New Help !!!

Thanks Ben. I have now popped a question in that thread as well. I am assuming I am still on perpetual but as all the termanoligy in their reinstatement marketing is different to what I actually bought, and the fact the offer was in the "move to subscription" box makes it rather difficult to understand. I shall lookout on the other thread too. Thanks for the advice
Old 12-03-2021, 05:55 PM

Support sent me an answer. They sent me this:

Upon checking your Account, you still have Pro Tools Subscription on your account and activated on iLok Key: [One of my ILOK ids]. Also, your two Perpetual was activated as well on your iLok Key: [One of my ILOK ids] and iLok Key: [One of my ILOK ids]. If don't want to use the Subscription license you can just deactivate the license on iLok Key and activate the license you want to use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The two perpetuals they are talking about are old ones I have reinstated before and the new one I am questioned they said to just deactivate it if you do not like subscription. Basically saying if you do not like it turn it off and your £240 you spent was for nothing. I still do not think the support person even understands my question. I have sent him a screenshot of my latest license and asked again. Is it still perpetual. It is like pulling teeth getting them to even understand the most basic of questions.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMe View Post
but the new license states "PerpetualSubscription" snip
wow. is that a subscription from which you cannot unsubscribe ?
you can't make this stuff up.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Then don't insult people. If you had started your post with "maybe you are missing this point ...." or "perhaps I'm not being clear" BUT Your opening statement was pure BS plain and simple

I understood and understand your point I think it is you who do not grasp the basic point .....those opting out have voluntarily chosen to not have those new features or updates , and have monetarily benefited from opting out,,, But they should not be rewarded for their choosing to opt out and get back in, for less aggregate money than those staying in are paying.... Because it is in fact those staying in, that are helping fund those new features and upgrades and those opting out are not,,, plain and simple .......That's just the reality ..

Your are totally speculating what Avid view is or isn't... Only time will show that. And "punishing" is only your subjective view of what is actually simply having them pay their fair share.
Obviously they are attempting to entice people back with this ONE TIME OFFER which in no way indicates if Avid "takes my view" or not, or what they will continue to do.
What if a restaurant had a recipe for some kind of fancy dish and over the years they improved on that dish and made it way more tasty and delicious and part of that was because their customers helped them do so through their support and feedback. Let’s say one of those customers tried that dish within the first year and didn’t eat there for another four years. When they come back should they have to pay more for that new improved meal just because they weren’t the ones that helped improve it?

Avid’s business / renewal / extortion plan is garbage. And so are any attempts to try and justify it. They’re mob like. They do it because they can. You pay upfront for a product that isn’t even announced yet. If you don’t want to pay them for something that you’re not even sure you want because you don’t know what it will be, you get penalized for leaving. Their $500 reinstatement offer is a positive step in the right direction but I doubt they came up with it out of their own goodwill. They probably were getting bombarded with those tell us how we’re doing surveys and reading all their crappy reviews online and they’re doing damage control.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 12-03-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
wow. is that a subscription from which you cannot unsubscribe ?
you can't make this stuff up.

I do not think it even is on subscription. I think it is still perpetual but the support person does not even understand the difference. All of my license say perpetual. That's what is bothering me, why do they keep saying the latest one is subscription which was suppose to be the reinstatement. I will probably end up having to phone them on Monday because they do not understand anything about their own business. Their support team is utterly useless. I think that they see Perpetual with auto renew turned on as a subscription but it is not. Subscription means you do not get to keep the product [rental] and perpetual means you keep it [mortgage] but their support team have no idea what the difference is. But I really want them to confirm that the last reinstatement I bought yesterday has not turned my perpetual into a rental subscription but it is an impossible task when even they do not know what the difference is.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMe View Post
Support sent me an answer...
I will look into this further tomorrow, but couldn't call it a day without at least dropping in here to assure you that you bought the right product... you have a perpetual license with a Software Updates + Support Plan (not a Subscription). Will follow up again ASAP!