Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2016, 02:36 PM

Default Mbox 3 Pro pre's vs. Focusrite ISA ONE? HELP!

I'm far from an expert with this pre-amp stuff and I'm sure this is probably a dumb question for some of you but would I be better off running my Focusrite ISA One pre into the Mbox 3 Pro's non-amped inputs or is it possible that the Mbox 3 Pro's pre's are worthy?

Any input/suggestions appreciated!

T
Old 01-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Default Mbox 3 Pro pre's vs. Focusrite ISA ONE? HELP!

I should have spent some time searching the forum before posting. I pretty much found my answer, which is..... There's probably no substantial difference but the Focusrite most likely has more color to it.

T

Last edited by tommytime555; 01-09-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Pro pre's vs. Focusrite ISA ONE? HELP!

Pro-tools-expert did a preamp shootout in which the Mbox 3 did surprisingly well.....
Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 AM

Thanks!

I've officially decided to grab an Mbox 3 Pro and shoot it over to Black Lion for the upgrade. I'm thinking that'lll do the trick.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytime555 View Post
Thanks!

I've officially decided to grab an Mbox 3 Pro and shoot it over to Black Lion for the upgrade. I'm thinking that'lll do the trick.

Thanks for the reply.
If you are running older versions of Mac OSX with older versions of Pro Tools (32bit) up to PT10, you will get happy with an MBox 3 Pro for sure.

Unlike if you are running the latest versions of Mac OSX on a pretty current Mac and the latest versions of Pro Tools. If that is the case, avoid the
MBox 3 Pro as there have been tons of reports from people having serious issues getting it to work properly on current systems.

There seem to happen serious connection problems as well as driver issues. You can search the DUC and the web for it.

Besides the quality of the preamps you will be a lot happier with another, more current interface (given you run a current OSX system as well).

Let me recommend you the new Focusrite Clarett 2Pre which is awesome as for it´s preamps and converters and it even offers 8 channel ADAT
inputs whenever you decide to expand your inputs in the future. This thing works via Thunderbolt and offers latency below 1ms, the fastest on the
market and it officially is compatible with OSX El Capitan as well.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Clarett2Pre
http://us.focusrite.com/thunderbolt-...s/clarett-2pre

Again, if you are on a very current system, avoid the MBox 3 Pro as an interface! Dismiss it and look for something more current and more future proof.
Btw the Claretts preamps will be a lot better than any MBox preamps, even modded ones. Not to mention the converters.

The best of success to you.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:46 PM

That Clarett 2Pre you mention also has the "Air" mode which adds a whole other level to the sonic quality.
I agree - so much to be gained from the Clarett. Were I not considering a used Apogee Ensemble, the Clarett 2Pre would be my choice.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 AM

Awesome! I am think I'm sold on the Clarett 2Pre but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what software it works with... Will I be able to stick with Pro Tools or would I need to switch over to Avid?

Thanks so much guys!

T