Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-02-2016, 02:57 PM

Default New Disk Utility Partition feature in El Capitan

I notice that Disk Utility in El Capitan is totally new - it even looks different. I also notice that it would seem to allow me to Partition my rMPB SSD drive without erasing the current drive. IN FACT, I am not even seeing the option to Zero Format or erase a drive with multiple passes like we have been able to do for the past decade.
Has anyone using El Capitan explored the possibility of partitioning an active drive so that Yosemite can be installed on the second partition for use with Protools?
Old 01-02-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Re: New Disk Utility Partition feature in El Capitan

You do not normally want/need to partition these SSD so run audio/sessions off them. The modern MBPr internal PCIe/M.2 based SSD are plenty fast for most users to just run their audio/session files off them. Partitioning does not really help there.

Multiple erasures/fancy erase passes on a SSD are irrelevant and not good for the SSD and Apple has just removed that option if the drive is an SSD. I can't recall when it was removed.

I am not sure exactly what changes you are looking at for partitioning, you've long been able to use disk utility to reduce the size of a partition and create another. El Capitan made cosmetic changes to the utility so it certainly looks new, and they pulled out other features dumbing it down. iOS here we come...
Old 01-04-2016, 11:45 AM

Darryl - I have not partitioned a drive in some years. The last time I did (Snow Leopard) I had to zero format the entire disk first.
My SSD is running El Capitan. I have an MBox3 and it's driver is not supported yet on El Cap.
WHAT I WANT TO DO is partition my drive and install Yosemite on it (as well as El Capitan) so I can run ProTools.
I don't want to erase everything on my drive and go through the backwards OS install that Apple has made difficult.

SO, I was hoping I could make an 8GB partition on my drive and simply install Yosemite on it.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
Darryl - I have not partitioned a drive in some years. The last time I did (Snow Leopard) I had to zero format the entire disk first.
My SSD is running El Capitan. I have an MBox3 and it's driver is not supported yet on El Cap.
WHAT I WANT TO DO is partition my drive and install Yosemite on it (as well as El Capitan) so I can run ProTools.
I don't want to erase everything on my drive and go through the backwards OS install that Apple has made difficult.

SO, I was hoping I could make an 8GB partition on my drive and simply install Yosemite on it.
You absolutely can. Shrink the current boot partition down in size and just create a HFS+ partition for Yosemite. Do you have a Yosemite installer? Read online how to build a full Yosemite installer.

Think/read about what you want to do with the existing recovery partition. Wether you want to make that Yosemite or leave it alone, etc.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 AM

I want to continue using the current Boot partition as El C.
I was going to make the Yosemite partition the small one. I would only be using it for PTools. I have not had any problems with El C.

My rMPB 2015 came with Yosemite installed so it is listed as a "Purchase" on my iTunes account. That installer is available to me. I will search the interweb for the best way to back-install an OS on a partition. I do not know that I would need to make a USB stick installer drive - - I am hoping I could partition the drive and then have the choice of running the Yosemite installer from iTunes (or opening the downloaded OS) on the new partition.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:34 PM

Make a bootable USB stick installer, that is the right direction.

Here is a good guide but it is talking about different OS X versions but that does not matter. It's advice is great, inclyding *not* using system migration assistant (assassin). http://mac-how-to.wonderhowto.com/ho...10-10-0155422/