Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 AM

Default Using VCAs on SC48 as "input faders"

One thing I have been thinking about to get around the 16 input fader limit on an SC48 (17 if I include the flex channel).

What if I assign each of the VCA outputs to a single input. I can then set the input faders on a different bank to around 0 and then use the VCAs to mix these.
While I appreciate the encoders wont be there - does this effectively give me 25 input faders that I can mix with?
Are there any gotchas with this?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Using VCAs on SC48 as "input faders"

Sure that will work, no problems, except you'd still obviously have to change layers to select a channel and edit its parameters. All the usual VCA/DCA usage guidelines still apply - the most important IMO being to keep your channel fader at unity to maintain the best resolution on the VCA.

Something I like to do, which may be of use to you, is to bank-safe certain channels. For example, my main vocal I always put in a handy position and bank-safe, then shuffle channels on the layer below so I'm not hiding anything. That way the most important inputs are always in the same place, and you can even ride the fader while switching banks to grab another input.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Sure that will work, no problems, except you'd still obviously have to change layers to select a channel and edit its parameters. All the usual VCA/DCA usage guidelines still apply - the most important IMO being to keep your channel fader at unity to maintain the best resolution on the VCA.

Something I like to do, which may be of use to you, is to bank-safe certain channels. For example, my main vocal I always put in a handy position and bank-safe, then shuffle channels on the layer below so I'm not hiding anything. That way the most important inputs are always in the same place, and you can even ride the fader while switching banks to grab another input.
Thanks for the tip on the bank safes! I have never used this feature. Still trying to learn all the featured and how I should best use them (not just using them just because they are there). But now you mention them, I can see how I can use them to stop me switching banks so ofter.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM

I'll give you another idea how to use VCA's on a SC48 for a smoother ride. This is how I do it. I think it thru, what channels I would like to see at a given moment and then create VCA's accordingly. Not for mixing using VCA's but for using VCA "spill" function to access channels FAST. So, in my case, the first VCA will be labeled MAIN and will include all the "most wanted" channels (including FX returns) and I obviously keep it under 17 channels... So in my case it will be something like: Kick, Sn Top, Sn Bottom, Hat, Bass Mic, Bass DI, Gtr SR, Gtr SL, Key1, Key2, Voc Rev Return, Voc Delay Return, ect, ect. I always keep the Flex channel nailed to Main Vocals btw. When done, I'll assign the remaining channels that did not make it to the MAIN VCA group to remaining VCA's and I'll mix staying in spill mode.

So first double-click MAIN VCA, so I see the "best of" channels, and if and when you occasionally need to tweak the Toms for example you just select TOMS VCA and toms inputs pop up (we're in spilled mode remember), select MAIN VCA again and you are back at accessing your main stuff. Especially great as FX returns are right there as well. Even AUX masters can be spilled to the input side, when included in VCA, like a delay send for example.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Kotkas View Post
I'll give you another idea how to use VCA's on a SC48 for a smoother ride. This is how I do it. I think it thru, what channels I would like to see at a given moment and then create VCA's accordingly. Not for mixing using VCA's but for using VCA "spill" function to access channels FAST. So, in my case, the first VCA will be labeled MAIN and will include all the "most wanted" channels (including FX returns) and I obviously keep it under 17 channels... So in my case it will be something like: Kick, Sn Top, Sn Bottom, Hat, Bass Mic, Bass DI, Gtr SR, Gtr SL, Key1, Key2, Voc Rev Return, Voc Delay Return, ect, ect. I always keep the Flex channel nailed to Main Vocals btw. When done, I'll assign the remaining channels that did not make it to the MAIN VCA group to remaining VCA's and I'll mix staying in spill mode.

So first double-click MAIN VCA, so I see the "best of" channels, and if and when you occasionally need to tweak the Toms for example you just select TOMS VCA and toms inputs pop up (we're in spilled mode remember), select MAIN VCA again and you are back at accessing your main stuff. Especially great as FX returns are right there as well. Even AUX masters can be spilled to the input side, when included in VCA, like a delay send for example.

+1 Here the same. It's more like using VCA spill as custom group of channels. One of great benefits of the spill function is that, group outputs from like the drums bus can now be on the same layer as your input drum channel.

I tried to only mixing in spill function, and like it even more than channel bank safe important channels. I sometimes have 8 vocal channels which i can't lose out of sight.

then i create a snapshot scope only vca members and 1 vca for custom fader assinings:

snapshot 1 channel 1-8 + 8 vocal channels
snapshot 2 channel 9-16+ 8 vocal channels, etc.

And i use the function buttons to trigger the snapshots, to quickly navigate between snapshots, and still have 7 vca over for other duties.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Great tips!!
Thanks.
Lots to learn.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Kotkas View Post

Another idea is double bus/assign your desired channels to groups but do not assign the groups to L/R. The group faders can remain muted and down. You double tap the group you want to see spill over and there they are. That way you don't accidentally mute, boost or cut the signal with the "groups".