Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Avid

Default Re: MBox USB loaner program for Mbox Pro Owners - dream on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
DigiTechSupt,

One of my kids (in college) bought a "name brand" laptop a little over a year ago that did not come with any OS disks at all. There was a recovery disk that could access a version of Vista that was "sectioned off" on the hard drive. As long as your hard drive doesn't fail, you can reload Vista. But with a failed hard drive I guess you have to send it back to the Manufacturer and let them replace the hard drive and re-install Vista.

So.. you don't always get an OS disk like you used to.

I don't know if this is the case with gbross, but it might be.

Greg
In that case, you would expect that they would be able to get the OS replaced by the manufacturer, given that they purchased a legal copy when they bought the computer.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM

It's this simple - I lost the OS disk.

And I don't like the implication that I illegally have an OS installed on my machine.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
In that case, you would expect that they would be able to get the OS replaced by the manufacturer, given that they purchased a legal copy when they bought the computer.
When you purchase a pre-built PC from companies like Dell, and HP you get a non-transferable version of Windows, meaning the OS is licensed only for the computer you bought from the manufacturer. I see this isn't the case with gbross, but it has been my experience. I don't even think you can dual boot one of these PCs without purchasing another copy of Windows.

This is another reason I feel Avid/Digi should look to Linux, a completely $FREE$ OS for all.
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 | RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600 | Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3870 512MB | Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB x3 | CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master V8 | Power Supply: SilverStone ST75F | Case: SilverStone Raven RV02 | Windows XP Home SP3 | Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 | MBox (original)
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbross View Post
Twelve months ago I happily purchased an Mbox Pro (Firewire). I have been successfully recording in PT 8 on my Windows XP machine since.

A few weeks ago my computer died. I now have a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I installed PT 8.

My Mbox Pro is now a BRICK. I can't record, mix or master. I am dead in the water.

Digidesign is unresponsive. Their latest update on the problem displayed on their corporate homepage is dated June 2009.

Apparently the USB Mbox works with Windows 7 64 bit.

HEY DIGIDESIGN... how about loaning all the Mbox Pro owners a USB Mbox until you get it together? You know who we are. You keep records of these things. I'll gladly sent you a $25 deposit on the box - that should more than cover the cost of the unit.

Yeah, right....
Your system what is made of
more information , I installed win 7 64 bits and works(HP NW9440 laptop)
Which firewire driver you choose?
desktop or Laptop motherboard Chip?
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 11-13-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Rubcrumpus View Post
This is just one of the reasons I feel Avid/digi should drop both Windows and OSX in favor of Linux. Distros like Ubuntu have a strict schedule for releases with stable, long term support releases every 3 years, and incremental updates every 6 months. An even better option would be to develop their own Linux build.
The best option would be for Digidesign to build a computer they find is their "perfect" match of hardware components, and I'd agree, adding their own Linux build. That would definitely be ideal. Think they might not have the time for that, though... Gotta update the HD sets, a bunch of software, a bunch of hardware... And apparently they've been firing people lately. But it would definitely be a good idea...

Heeeey. Maybe Shane could stop working on music for a year and just build and sell computers!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 AM

flautista,

Thanks for your replies.

I tried using the firewire legacy driver. Still - no sound.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbross View Post
It's this simple - I lost the OS disk.

And I don't like the implication that I illegally have an OS installed on my machine.
if you lost the OS disk, you can get a replacement throught MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;326246

As for the implication - you can read into what I wrote whatever you like, however my post in no way (at least in my mind) made that implication.

The reality is that there are a lot of people that use pirated/cracked software and, given it's a sensitive issue, it's easy for someone to read into a statement. I honestly was truly curious.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 AM

OK... no hard feelings on this side.

I think I've found a work around until Digidesign comes up with the drivers.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=259204

Hopefully the drivers will be ready within the next couple of months.

But come on... this is a sensitive and costly issue. Digidesign should at least update their homepage to an announcement about this issue that is a little more current than four months (June 2010 - referring to the "upcoming" Windows 7).
Old 11-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Rubcrumpus View Post
When you purchase a pre-built PC from companies like Dell, and HP you get a non-transferable version of Windows, meaning the OS is licensed only for the computer you bought from the manufacturer. I see this isn't the case with gbross, but it has been my experience. I don't even think you can dual boot one of these PCs without purchasing another copy of Windows.

This is another reason I feel Avid/Digi should look to Linux, a completely $FREE$ OS for all.
Linux, for all it's niceties, just doesn't have the audio infrastructure necessary to support an app like Pro Tools on it. Not to mention it's market penetration is extremely small - we'd essentially be adding yet another OS to put development time into that would likely have very little benefit in the way of additional sales.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Linux, for all it's niceties, just doesn't have the audio infrastructure necessary to support an app like Pro Tools on it. Not to mention it's market penetration is extremely small - we'd essentially be adding yet another OS to put development time into that would likely have very little benefit in the way of additional sales.
First of all, thank you for responding.

Secondly, I'm not saying to add Linux to the current OS's you support. I'm saying, make it the only OS you support.
I realize this is a VERY DIFFICULTY process and would take a lot of time.
But, this could add the stability and ease of use that once made Pro Tools stand above the other DAWs.

Thirdly, what exactly is the Linux infrastructure lacking that Pro Tools requires.
I thought that the real time kernel would be beneficial to pro audio.
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 | RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600 | Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3870 512MB | Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB x3 | CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master V8 | Power Supply: SilverStone ST75F | Case: SilverStone Raven RV02 | Windows XP Home SP3 | Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 | MBox (original)