Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2016, 04:35 PM

Default Re: AAE Error 6

I actually got this error message before. Now I'm on ProTools 12.4 and just got the error message. Here's what I discovered:

When I dragged it straight from the browser, I got the AAE Error 6 message. However, when I went in and used the Audio Import Function, it told me that the file had already been imported and it either couldn't import it as is, or it had to create a new, unique identifier for the file. I told it to make a unique stamp on the newly imported file.

Just thought I'd throw in what I discovered.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:58 AM

hiya - just thought i'd mention that i was having the same issue (pt12.4) i consolidated tracks etc, removed all crap, tried 'freezing' instruments (thinking perhaps it was a cpu issue - though my 'system usage' window looked good * yes i know this window is not precise*) - still happening.

I read on another thread some people mentioning a drive issue- i opened my session 'save copy in' to a new external solid state drive and viola - session running perfectly.

just thought i'd share...
Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM

I just got the same error message yesterday, searched the net for solution - inculding this thread.
Some folks suggested reinstalling Pro Tools, so today I removed PT 12.4 from my system and replaced it with a fresh install of the latest 12.7.1 version, but still getting the error...

I noticed it pops up only in one certain session, and I thought it might have something to do with MIDI files used in it (the problem usually starts as soon as the MIDI part begins in the song), so I got rid of all MIDI clips from the session. Still no good

Help, anyone?

P.S. I also tried makind a copy of the session, but got another error message this time: "could not save a copy in [SESSION NAME HERE] because Attempted a typeid of NULL pointer!" Any Idea what's that about
Old 02-27-2017, 03:05 PM

Hi certainly frustrating i been there a lot of times . If you tried evertlything mentioned .

Clear wave cache file

Verify that your sound card isnt selected in windows CP while runing PT etc

Try this 2 things last .

Unistall pace interlock . Donwload the lastest version and run the clear leftovers app included . And reinstall it .

If the issue still then go to the unpackage files that you downloaded above from ilok and go to the OLD INSTALER folder run the exe inside on top of installation and reboot .

This trick with the old installers on ilok package have solved some issues on my system .

Since then i didnt see the Error 6 anymore same sessions same PC .
Old 02-27-2017, 06:38 PM

I've been solving this by opening the session (and saving) in an older version. Then reopening in the version I choose to use. This seems to work for me.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-28-2017, 02:23 AM

Thank you jeam25, I did everything you listed, but to no positive effect :/

I figured out it could be something with the MIDI files I already mentioned, and in fact the problem seemed to appear only in the later versions of the session with the MIDI already somewhat edited.
So I went back to one of the first versions, where everything seemed OK, and imported just the audio tracks and settings from the latest one, except for the MIDI. Similar solution to what TOM@METRO suggested (thanks!).

It looked like it's fine for now, I worked for half an hour or so with no interruptions, and then suddenly it appeared again! Not the MIDI issue this time, since I did not follow the steps I had taken before with the original faulty session.

I wrote to Avid support yesterday, but I guess if "Error 6" is still such a problem for many users, and has been for some time now, it may be impossible to solve once and for all.

It would be understandable if such thing happened with a free and unsupported DAW, but Pro Tools? The best, expensive, one and only "industry standard?" Oh, come on!
Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 AM

Well great . The bottom line is that there so many possible computer configurations out there that the best bet is to test wisely all the tips posted by other experienced users until find the culprit . Glad to know that TOMs tip guide you there !
Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 AM

Hey jeam25, not that I don't value your suggestions - I appreciate them very much! Just wanted to say that this was not the solution to my problem :)

Nor was TOM@METRO's advice, actually, because the error returned again and not only in the originally faulty session, but in other ones as well.

I have a ticket open with Avid customer care, so maybe we'll manage to solve this somehow. If yes, I will update you all, so it may be of some help to other guys experiencing similar issues with the almighty Error 6
Old 03-01-2017, 06:17 AM

Sorry to hear that my friend . I tought it was resolved for you . I didnt get it wrong im here to help and ive been in your shoes so many times . So i hope Avid can help with this directly . Thanks for let us know !
Old 03-02-2017, 06:48 PM

Default AAE Error 6

Check permissions on that folder also as a hint. Check if the Folder has read only permissions because that could be the problem of your session inability to save copy in to other disks or folders.
I'm not certain but I believe errors 6001 or 6 have to do with drive or Folder errors, like permissions for the drive. Also corrupt or bad permissions audio files can ocasionaly report to protools errors like yours.

Regards