Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-24-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Completely OT: help with my computer graphics??

I know someone here will know what's going on so I'm turning to you experts...(OK I admit it...truth is you're the only friends I got!!)

Anyway, since I upgraded to Windows XP Home from 98SE, everything is working beautifully. PT is swwweeeeet, e-mail fine, start menu clean, no crashes, etc. Everything except ONE LITTLE problem.
On the internet, on some sites that I regularly used before the XP upgrade, I'm getting blank square spaces with that little three-color logo/icon thing in the upper-left corner in places where there should be graphics. Not all the time...and sometimes it's for pictures, sometimes for Flash animations.
Thing is, it's not consistent...I can see some Flash presentations and some I can't (I'm 99.9% sure Flash Player is installed correctly...but isn't that included with Internet Explorer 6.0??)

I'm really confused.
I sometimes play these dumb animated word games that are part of BellSouth.net Internet Service. Since I upgraded to XP, the games don't work. The Bell South Internet Service Media Player screen has one of those icon/3-color logo thingies in the corner. I called Bell South Customer Service and they had no answers for me, so it doesn't seem like it's a typical 98SE to XP upgrade issue.

Anybody got any ideas?

I went to Macromedia.com and checked to make sure I had Flash and Shockwave installed correctly.
Been fishing around XP Preferences, Internet Explorer Preferences, etc.
Can't think of what else to check.

I appreciate your assistance.

Murph [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Completely OT: help with my computer graphics??

I think this has to do with IE6's security/privacy settings. The app is blocking the 3rd party stuff for you- OR if you're using a software firewall, that could be doing the blocking.

Sooo mess with your Firewall privacy/cookie settings- or you may want to go into IE6's Tools> Internet Options> Privacy> Advanced> and in there you can paste any single website where you will give them 100% access. This will allow you to keep things tight in general but allow a specific 'site special permission.

There's also Tools> Internet Options> Security> Custom Level> where you can set specific permissions for cookies. It may be that your system is blocking Active X controls or denying Java Permissions for these pop-up dohickeys.

Also then try some different Firewall settings in that Privacy/Cookie arena. That'll probably get ya going.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:49 PM

Thanks Stone..got it going. Had to do with Java permision or something...but it works now.

Back to the music, everyone...carry on.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:50 PM

Let the Java flow, brudder! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 08:37 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Microslop was trying to 'phase out' Java compatibility...seems Java was too powerful/universal and Billy didn't like it, so was trying to kill it under XP/IE6... Anybody else hear about this?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:51 AM

That's silly, even bill gates couldn't undo all that java is used for. Unless they put out a competing tech and made everyone learn how to use it. That could happen. But it hasn't yet, so no fear. The multi-billionaires who run Sun have nothing much to fear from the multi-billionaires who run Microsoft.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:21 AM

I believe the matter referenced -somewhat obliquely- was the litigation in making MS's Virtual Machine for Java not the only choice available to Windows users- in much the same way they now have supplied an option to hide IE and choose another browser.

These changes were implemented in XP SP1 in response to the Department Of Justice antitrust suit.