Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 08:10 PM

Default Perpetually relinking, doesn't find every file

Short version: Pro Tools begins automatically relinking all the files in a session, seemingly gets to some files that it can't find, and gets stuck there without relinking the rest of the files.

-----

Long version: I'm transferring Pro Tools sessions back and forth with a co-composer. It's for a TV project, so we have video files as well as audio files in the sessions.

We both have all the audio and video files necessary for the project we're working on, and if Pro Tools can't find them on my computer after receiving a session from him, automatically relinking them works fine (it finds the audio and the video).

The problem I'm having starts when my co-composer adds additional audio files that I don't have to the session. (He sometimes pulls in a bunch of different music to a Pro Tools session to edit it in, play around with it, etc. But not all of these files are things he can share with me, legal reasons copyright something I don't know.) Obviously Pro Tools can't find these additional audio files on my computer since I don't have them.

What happens is this: when I open a session I choose "automatically relink," and quickly all the audio files I do have are relinked. The ones I don't have remain grayed out, but ALSO the video remains grayed out and never gets relinked. I DO have the video file, but it seems like Pro Tools just gets stuck looking for those other audio files I don't have before moving on to the video file. I have to manually import the video again every time I open a session.

Is there an easy way to tell Pro Tools to just look for the video file specifically, or somehow change the order it automatically relinks so that videos are before audio files? I don't want to deal with manually relinking everything because there are hundreds of files.

Related: the video files are on a password-protected drive, BUT I don't have this problem I described if the Pro Tools session contains no additional audio files that I don't have, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Sorry this is long, tried to explain in detail and it's just a convoluted problem.