Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Default Color coding options for MIDI Editor

Hello, I am wondering if I am using superior 2, and lets say I have my kick mapped to C1 and my snare mapped to C#1... can I have the kick line of notes appear blue on the C1 line, and the snare line of notes on the C#1 line appear red? (and the same for all pieces of my kit coded to a color of my choice?) Because I do not like color coded to velocity, i prefer velocity represented the old way by handles and drum pads being different colors on my kit... so if I upgrade to Pro Tools 8, can I change the color to reflect each different note number on the keyboard?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Color coding options for MIDI Editor

No, I don't think you can zap the colors like that....hehehe

But you can create an individual MIDI track (set to single note view if you want) for each type of drum hit and then color by track... However, by having them in individual tracks, you somewhat negate the need for color differentiation.. There are editing advantages to this as well, but also a bit more cumbersome in some ways..
Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
can I have the kick line of notes appear blue on the C1 line, and the snare line of notes on the C#1 line appear red?
Yes, Superimposed Note editing is a feature of Pro Tools 8 where you can view multiple tracks in the same MIDI Editor Window with colour coding MIDI Notes by track.

filosofem
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM

oh ok thanks, i can now see the flexibility of pro tools 8 color coding as per some videos i just saw.

as for the previous member's response before yours... i don't get it... is he on drugs or something? and apparently he does not fully agree with you, as he has presented other ways of setting the tracks in order to pull off what i request.

I hope the ability of the pro tools 8 MIDI editor can be clarified by someone before I commit to it.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
oh ok thanks, i can now see the flexibility of pro tools 8 color coding as per some videos i just saw.

as for the previous member's response before yours... i don't get it... is he on drugs or something? and apparently he does not fully agree with you, as he has presented other ways of setting the tracks in order to pull off what i request.

I hope the ability of the pro tools 8 MIDI editor can be clarified by someone before I commit to it.
Actually, Mr. Zapfiltrator...

Filo is saying something very similar to what I suggested..

The individual notes will all need to be split out to individual MIDI tracks..

I just left out the part where once you are in the dedicated MIDI editor window, data on different MIDI tracks are already color coded differently.

But if you want everything to be in one MIDI track, then no sorry PT8 doesn't do that..

Unless maybe I'm on drugs...???
Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
once you are in the dedicated MIDI editor window, data on different MIDI tracks are already color coded differently.
Superimposed Notes View, 'Colour Code MIDI Notes by Track' enabled lets Pro Tools decide colour coding based on how many tracks are eye enabled. Disabled 'Colour Code MIDI Notes by Track' the user can decide colour coding based on user defined Colour Palette for track types.

filosofem
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Actually, Mr. Zapfiltrator...
So you have obsession with electrocuting yourself, of fine, I dont want to hear about it... and i am sorry if the spelling of my name offends you but i can assure you that you are not well and I am not interested in hearing about your escapades with the guy in tights off the show Futurama.

Quote:

Filo is saying something very similar to what I suggested..

The individual notes will all need to be split out to individual MIDI tracks..

I just left out the part where once you are in the dedicated MIDI editor window, data on different MIDI tracks are already color coded differently.

But if you want everything to be in one MIDI track, then no sorry PT8 doesn't do that..
multiple MIDI tracks is all fine and dandy, but when clicking on the grid, if my drums are mapped to a precise key in each track, I am hoping PT8's grid on the MIDI editor window will trigger the right colored notes so that I know what I am clicking through sight, not through MIDI-thru sound.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Superimposed Notes View, 'Colour Code MIDI Notes by Track' enabled lets Pro Tools decide colour coding based on how many tracks are eye enabled. Disabled 'Colour Code MIDI Notes by Track' the user can decide colour coding based on user defined Colour Palette for track types.
ok so if all drum MIDI tracks are selected, and all have different colors, would the activiation of 'Colour Code MIDI Notes by Track' allow the visual trigger for the right color not dependent on the note selected? but then how does it know which track you are clicking?

And again, I am just doing reseaqrch before I commit to 8, but I would not do so until i get a real machine - a macn. Until then, PT7.4 is working half decent on the VAIO and is behaving acceptable enough to be usable in some workflow at least.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Watch the Pro Tools 8 videos on DTV.

filosofem
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM

neither of the 3 videos covering the midi editor tells you whether you can have penciling note mode target active for multiple midi tracks, only one track at a time. In addition, none of these videos tells you how to very quickly toggle the target midi tracks to be penciled except by clicking them, but I need to know the keyboard commands.

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to toggle to any MIDI track targeted with the pencil for insertion of notes in a very quick way like you can do for a function like jumping to marker points with keyboard commands (with the period > number key > period shortcut command in that example). because if i am inserting notes, and lets say i have my hats on one track and toms on another, and kick and snares on other different tracks, and if i am rapidly clicking between all the tracks to insert notes on any chosen drum track representing my set of pad types to create a clicked pattern, is there a way to have all of these active for insertion? because i dont have the time to switch the target track each time i want to insert different hits from the drum kit mapped according to my special color map. this is extremely important to be able to do for those not coordinated in playing drums on a keyboard or trigger pad.