Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 AM

Default Re: PC user thinking of going Mac.. question.

I'm a long-time user of Apples "pro"-line computers, and they've always had long life-spans. My current one is a MacPro Quad-Core (first generation intel-Macs) with 3GB ram. It is now four years old, and still serves me well.

I've started using allot more VI's lately, and now really feel the need for a ram-upgrage 8GB as christmas-present for myself!! After that I expect two to three more years of joy at least.
0153 Oslo
Norway

Nedberg Audio
[email protected]
Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 AM

i have a first gen mac pro also at the start of 2007. it works great and i haven't even tapped it's full ram or potential. even though it's 3 years old this thing i can see lasting me a good many more years and i love that. i always buy one step ahead of what the consumer market is like the duals were and still mostly are so i can have better longevity. all my pc friends get a new one every 2 years and struggle with chipsets and support and screw all that i just want to make music you know :) even at my school they run some g5 and even older g4 for protools and final cut and they are working just fine but of course the g5 can handle more and those things are getting up there with age. at my work i have a dual core pc but a 2008 mac pro quad is mine in a month once this other guy leaves and i get my new office :)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Each person has different expectations and tolerances. I'm one of those that want and often must have the latest/greatest technology but my wallet (wife) doesn't always let me get it. My average life of a PC (Mac or Windows) is about three years. If I had my choice, it would probably be closer to 1-2 years. In terms of usable life for most people, it is probably around 5 years before a system becomes considered old or outdated. There are those that can squeeze 7+ years out of their machines but OS and application updates start to impact the viability of those.

I tend to think that Apples tend to have a longer usable life due to the fact that they often come out with newer technology before their Windows counterparts (no insult intended). On the flip side of that argument is that Apple is not shy about dropping a technology and leaving their customers stranded (SCSI, PCI Slots, AppleTalk, Firewire 400, etc.)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3