Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-25-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Can anyone help with Allenstein HDD configuration?

I’m using the last-generation Allenstein PC with my Digi 002 Rack system. I had an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe mobo die within the warranty period… ASUS supplied a replacement which was recently installed by a local tech.

I have 2 hard drives in this PC (system and audio), which has been running ProTools LE v6.4 just great until this recent mobo problem. The harddrives had previously been configured as recommended by Digidesign, i.e., in a standard IDE configuration, NOT a RAID configuration.

One thing that’s really got me stumped since getting the PC back after the mobo replacement is the harddrive configuration. If I go into My Computer I can see both harddrives… both these are visible in Windows Explorer etc and appear to be fully functional. Now if I go into the BIOS, I notice that the harddrive configuration is set to RAID, NOT “Standard IDE operation” or whatever that particular setting is called (n.b., the Promise controller has been enabled). If I change this BIOS setting from RAID to “Standard IDE operation”, once the PC boots up I can no longer see the second (audio) drive in My Computer/Windows Explorer etc.

What’s even weirder is this – if I go back to the BIOS and revert to the RAID setting, then not only can I see both drives in My Computer etc, Pro Tools seems to be able to open and run my previously saved session files without a hitch.

Any suggestions as to why I don’t see my second harddrive when the BIOS is set to “standard IDE operation”. Do I need to be concerned about this, or can I just continue with the present (RAID) setting??

Thanks people, appreciate your help.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Can anyone help with Allenstein HDD configurat

bump
Old 04-26-2006, 04:39 PM

Bump x 2!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:20 PM

This is a stretch, but what the hey?! I would try this: Turn off the computer and unplug your audio drive ribbon cable. Start and go to BIOS and select the IDE (not RAID) setup and save/exit. Assuming WIndows is up and running fine, shut it down. Reconnect the audio drive and reboot(maybe check BIOS to see if it recognizes the second drive) and boot to Windows. If your My Computer does not see the drive, right-click on My Computer and select Manage>Disk Management. You may be able to enable the drive from this window. Good luck.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Cheers Albee, I'll give it a bash.