Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-02-2021, 03:53 PM

Default 99.00 perpetual license update SALE .. how long is this promotion going on ??

99.00 perpetual license update Promotion Email ..

Hi, I received an email that Staes I can update my Perpetual License for 99.00 for one year (usually 299.00) ..

does anyone know how long this Promotion is going on for ????

and can these be saved and loaded up later ???? I just reinstated as of version 2021.7

thank you John

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-02-2021, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 99.00 perpetual license update SALE .. how long is this promotion going on ??

Unless they’ve sent another email that I’ve missed, that is NOT a perpetual renewal. It’s a 1 year subscription offered at a discounted rate for the first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2021, 05:53 PM

Default Re: 99.00 perpetual license update SALE .. how long is this promotion going on ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Unless they’ve sent another email that I’ve missed, that is NOT a perpetual renewal. It’s a 1 year subscription offered at a discounted rate for the first year.

HI Sardi, it says Perpetual "ONLY" in 2 different places ... I am not on a computer that has the Screen shot of email ... it came a few days ago !!

I will post the pic here when I get a chance ...

cheer John

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-02-2021, 05:56 PM

here is the Pic .. i was able to get it ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 7.26.06 AM.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-02-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

i posted the Pic of the Email below in a Reply to myself .. cheers

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-02-2021, 05:59 PM

That clearly says subscription.

It’s what I was referring to in my original reply. It is NOT a renewal on your perpetual license. Read it carefully.

Lots of discussion about this on another thread in the same section you posted this in.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416977

Old 10-02-2021, 07:01 PM

A lot of customers dropping out of the subscription pandemic. Just sayin, OP customer is persuasively guided into subscription. I hope he gets to keep and not surrender his perpetual lic.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
A lot of customers dropping out of the subscription pandemic. Just sayin, OP customer is persuasively guided into subscription. I hope he gets to keep and not surrender his perpetual lic.
This is my understanding of the promotion as I read it: (Please feel free to correct me)

This promotion does not require surrendering your perpetual license (Protools Vanilla or Protools Ultimate). It does require that you own a perpetual license:

(A) A perpetual license with active annual updates and support plan

or

(b) A perpetual license frozen at a certain version due to a lapsed support plan

With either of these licenses, a user may purchase a separate "Subscription" license for the first year at a discount. This in no way affects the currently owned perpetual license that qualified the user for this promotion. The subscription includes additional products bundled with the Protools subscription product. The subscription may be for Protools Vanilla or Protools Ultimate at their respective discounted prices.

User may continue to use either their perpetual license or the subscription license. At the end of the subscription period, they may renew the subscription at the regular price. As for the perpetual license, if they have a active update and support plan, they may renew annually to keep the active updates and support plan current just as before. If they choose to not renew the update and support plan, the perpetual license will lapse and be frozen at that version and continue to work accordingly. If they have a lapsed perpetual license, they can continue to use that frozen version just as before.

Perpetual license reinstatements have been discontinued from production but existing reinstatement in dealer inventories will still be honored but are getting hard or impossible to find.

I, along with many perpetual license users are reluctant to give up our perpetual licenses. Avid clearly wants to promote the subscription model and has made this offer to motivate users to try the subscription method at a discounted price for one year, without the risk of surrendering their perpetual license . They've included bundled products to be more enticing. Lapsed perpetual license users that are locked into older version can try these bundled products and new Protools features in the current version to see if subscription is model is beneficial and cost effective for them to get current.

It is not as nefarious as some have indicated. It seems like a good faith promotion to encourage users to try the subscription model. No one is being forced to take this promotion. It is being offered to those that have been reluctant to even consider its merits. If it does not appeal to you, simply walk away and stay with your perpetual license (active update and subscription plan or not) as you are today.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-03-2021, 02:04 AM

Default 99.00 perpetual license update SALE .. how long is this promotion going on ??

You have understood 100% correctly.

It is not nefarious in the slightest, but honestly, if you’re in an active perpetual plan, there is no incentive (aside from the usage of some plugins) to ‘try’ the subscription. You’d essentially be paying twice for the same thing and then potentially losing your reinstatement option.

It’s a nice idea for people that have let their plan lapse, but I personally see no point in it if you’re current with your perpetual license.

If they had of offered the option of reinstating your perpetual license after the subscription finished, then it might make sense. But, what’s in it for them doing that?

Last edited by Sardi; 10-03-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
HI Sardi, it says Perpetual "ONLY" in 2 different places ... I am not on a computer that has the Screen shot of email ... it came a few days ago !!

I will post the pic here when I get a chance ...

cheer John
Just so there is no confusion. The $99 promotion absolutely is not a "perpetual license update sale " , in any way shape or form........It is a promo to get on the annual subscription plan, ONLY

In that picture in the black Box it clearly sates " Get your Pro Tools Subscription "

Yes you can keep your perpetual and get a second '"subscription" only license But getting that subscription only license does absolutely nothing to up date your perpetual. And has no effect on the status of your perpetual license, At all .....

So in essence you will have two licenses and you will have to pay for both to stay current with them both.. You will have subscription that after the first year will be $299 to renew and you have your perpetual for which you will also have to pay the perpetual update/ support renewal fee of $199 to keep it current.....

The only thing the promo actually does is get you in to an additional subscription license and some extra plugins for $100 off for one year.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 10-03-2021 at 06:40 AM.