Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 AM

Default Import Audio Is Not Copying Files To My Audio Folder

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with the Import Audio function in Pro Tools 10.3.3. I've checked the "Automatically Copy Files on Import" box in preferences and Pro Tools is still not saving my wav files to the project audio folder. Plus - In the Import Audio dialog box, I don't see a 'copy' button. I see an 'add' button, but not a 'copy' button. I'm including a screenshot of my Import Audio dialog box. Why is there no 'copy' button? Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 SP1
Pro Tools Native 10.3.3
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Import Audio Is Not Copying Files To My Audio Folder

Anyone? When I use the import audio function in Pro Tools, shouldn't the audio files automatically get saved in the project audio folder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwatrif View Post
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with the Import Audio function in Pro Tools 10.3.3. I've checked the "Automatically Copy Files on Import" box in preferences and Pro Tools is still not saving my wav files to the project audio folder. Plus - In the Import Audio dialog box, I don't see a 'copy' button. I see an 'add' button, but not a 'copy' button. I'm including a screenshot of my Import Audio dialog box. Why is there no 'copy' button? Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 SP1
Pro Tools Native 10.3.3
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM

I don't recall there ever being a "copy" button, and yes, having the "automatically copy files on import" SHOULD do it....
Old 12-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Yes! This is pissing me off , i import audio then i open session in other studio on other computer and the imported audio is the only one missing, always!! Wtf?? Avid?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:27 PM

Check to make sure every track is being allocated to the same root media folder:

Pro Tools > Setup > Disk Allocation > Root Media Folder

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Having a lot of issues here with 12.8.2

it just refuses to copy the audio file to the project folder, and indeed the option is ticked.

If i use workspace it copies thankfully, so it's a work around of sorts..

Checked root folder, it's correct..

have no idea what is going on.. all i do know is that PT is referencing the original files in their original location when the command shift I is used to import (which i really actually like to use, I am old school).

It gets weirder... there is a group of files that it refuses to import interleaved.. it imports as 2 unlinked mono files even though it clearly says they are stereo files and i have interleaved for my settings!
It's also importing them with dead center pan, both of them.
I really should take a video of this so y'all don't think I am nuts.

Many files it imports fine, but there is this one group it just refuses to import as a stereo interleaved file.

Want weirder again? If i don't use the import window but drag them from desktop, it imports them correctly as a stereo interleave, the very same files!

I am so confused right now.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM

Ok this is just so weird.. I just dragged and dropped a file from desktop.. a stereo loop.. pro tools imported it correctly automatically to a new stereo track.

Just to test my theory, i deleted it from the arrange page and went to my clip list where it was imported (and yes it did copy it to project folder from a desktop drag).. and i dragged it from the clip list back into the project.

It created two mono, center panned tracks!

wtf! i have never seen such a thing in my life! surely there has to be an explanation for this. man I am hoping it is something obvious.

As far as the import audio dialog, it will just NOT copy the imported audio.

And unless I am mistaken, i can't see a way to copy it to the project folder manually once it's imported? I'd be happy to do that if it's possible. I just have to be careful when i remove unused files, not to delete from disk when they are not in the project folder!

Any help appreciated. Necroed this topic as felt it was the most relevant, rather than starting a new one
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM

Ok i worked out the copy and relink option in workspace for files that are not imported to project folder...

The audio import dialog absolutely will not copy any file (unless i convert it rather than "add" it).

I think this is a re crept in bug in 12.8.2.

I just started a brand new project to test a few things.. no tracks, just click and master fader.

I imported a few stereo files.. import dialog correctly identified SR/bitrate/Channels.. but is bringing them in as 2 single mono files on 2 separate mono tracks each..

Checked project settings again, interleaved is definitely selected.

It would have to be anyway, as once again i tested same files from desktop drag and drop and it correctly creates a single stereo track.

Once again, the imported clip drags to two separate tracks if done from clip list lol.. seriously..it's sitting in the project right in front of me on a stereo track, but if i try drop same file from clip list onto a new track, it does 2 mono (and both centered pan).

Can someone else *please* confirm that this is happening to them?

I am definitely paying for support this year, but i am due for renewal in a month, and they want the full amount for just one month support, the 11 months i didn't have it is just forgone. I can't accept this.. so will wait till my renewal date and pay for a full year support. If they would just let me pay for a year now, i would do it! such a weird company sometimes! I just refuse to pay 100 bucks for 30 days.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:39 PM

Ok, interesting..

The files it is importing to two seperate mono tracks, are marked in the clip window as (2A channels).

where as the files it is importing correctly to a stereo track, are labelled (stereo).

Does anyone know the difference, and perhaps it's a fault of the loop library creator, something to do with the wav files.. Could this be possible?

I tried converting them to aiff on import to see if it would work that way, but no, it still creates two separate tracks.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Ok it seems i have found the answer:
http://duc.avid.com/archive/index.php/t-370514.html

it seems obvious in this case that the loop creator has saved them as surround files for some reason.

My issue is identical to that poster in the link.

However, the bug of not copying imported audio remains.

So for now i will just render stuff from that library to a new stereo track or drag and drop from desktop...

but if anyone can confirm the import audio dialog, when using add, is NOT copying the audio file to project folder.

Cheers