Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 12:25 AM

Default How far is your computer from your control room?

How far is your ProTools computer from your control room or work area?

I am just wondering where everyone puts their noisy computer beasts. I was killing myself comparing loudness specs of computer case fans, CPU coolers and power supplies, etc., when I had a mighty brainstorm: Just put the darn computer in the far bedroom closet and run 50' cables into my control room!!!! That way I can put in the heavy duty fans and not worry about the noise or the cooling.

I figure I could get the following:

- 50' Digilink cable
- 3 16' USB active extension cables for a keyboard or 2 25' Din Cables
- 3 16' USB active extension cables for a mouse or 2 25' Din Cables
- 2 50' VGA cables (one for each monitor)
- 50' Ethernet cable for a Control 24

Am I missing anything? Has anyone tried it? I have never used Protools before so I have no idea what's involved. This not a commercial installation, so I can always walk to the other room to burn CD's or even run 3 15' firewire extensions to an external burner. A quiet control room is very important because I record almost everything except drums in there.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: How far is your computer from your control room?

> 3 16' USB active extension cables for a keyboard or 2 25' Din Cables
- 3 16' USB active extension cables for a mouse or 2 25' Din Cables<

Get one of these intead:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...search=&child=

They work great.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:53 PM

Thanks, filmixer, for your endorsement of that unit.

I did see that on Cyberguys but I dismissed it out of hand because it does not provide USB power, it only works with self powered USB units like printers, scanners and stuff. But your link got me thinking that maybe if I connect it to a externally powered USB hub, then I could power the keyboard and the mouse.

How do you use it?
Old 07-23-2005, 02:09 PM

I have plugged in a keyboard and mouse directly and they work fine. I currently have it feeding a Dell 1905fp's built in hub with the keyboard plugged into that.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: How far is your computer from your control roo

"... maybe if I connect it to a externally powered USB hub, then I could power the keyboard and the mouse..."
I thought the same, but call them and ask to make sure (EG, I think an optical mouse does need some power).

I have been sucessfully running 50 feet away for years by using a mouse and keyboard on a pair of 2 25' Din Cables, and monitor on 2 25' VGA cables, never noticed any problem. I also have a Logitech USB optical mouse that came with a USB to PS2 adapter, and that seemed to work fine, also.