Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 07:30 AM

Default Will the 002 rack have an ASIO driver?

Hi does anyone know if the 002r will have an ASIO driver, and if will also include the MIDI i/o.

I use Cubase SX at home and have no intention of going back to LE, but the 002r could be a sweet upgrade from my M-Audio Audiophile sound card.

Thanks for any info. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Will the 002 rack have an ASIO driver?

Hello. Well the 002 Rack won't be available for Windows until August apparently. And 6.1 for XP will be either out before then or at the same time. It has been said that the ASIO drivers available for 6.1 will be fully functional, bug free then. So I guess we have to wait and find out. Administrators hardly ever comment on these issues, so all we have is speculation like this from users.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:38 AM

bump

Any new info?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:50 AM

david sumich said a few days ago in another forum that 6.1 would be coming "very soon". since he never says anything negative (that i've ever read) and seems to be a pretty straight shooter, i take that to mean that 6.1 will be on schedule. i remember reading many months ago that it would be available by the end of june.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:00 AM

Thanks, i dont suppose David mentioned the ASIO driver at all? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 07:39 AM

Hello. Hey guys I sent David Sumich an e-mail some time ago. That's also when I found out about his brother's passing and the ensuing thread that I started. Amazingly in that e-mail he went on to answer my questions. However in this specific subject he couldn't give an educated final answer. Here is how it went. The first two paragraphs are part of my e-mail. The paragraph that starts A-, which stands for answer, is David's reply
Quote:
Will we all get along? What I mean by this is, will the Wave Driver, ASIO and Rewire2 all be able to coexist on the same system at the same time.

Will the ASIO driver be a fully functional, bug free driver, or will it still be a beta offering? Will it coexist with the Wave Driver? As it stands now, ASIO is installed on the system, but not the Wave Driver. There a few PC applications that do not support ASIO, and I would like to use my Digidesign hardware for those. Will the MIDI issues be resolved as far as the ASIO driver is concerned?

A - The answer is that all components to my understanding will be "finished" and able to coexist. This area of development is not in my department, so this is not the gospel, but I am pretty sure.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 06-19-2003, 07:58 AM

Von, have you checked out the Motu 828 mkll?
Pretty much the same in/outs as the 001 and 002r, and I am assuming the same grade of pre's.
If you are not planning on going back to ptle I am not sure why you would even want to go with the 002r. The big advantage is it comes with the software.
I am contemplating going with the motu set up but I will not get into here cause Froyo will get mad at me again and be mean to me. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 08:17 AM

Hello. Nan_wpg_mb sorry about that. Carry on and ask all you want, it is not my internet forum. However, it seems you are a fairly undecisive guy, who gets sidetracked by issues that ultimately have nothing to do with what you want (wordclock for example). Usually undecisive people need a little push. Consider me a little push. Dude it's your life, do whatever you want. I just think anyone who takes 7 months or more to decide what software they want is someone who doesn't really know what they want. You yourself have said it's not a commercial venture, just for fun. 7 months to make a decison for fun? Really? How long does it take you to pick an ice cream flavor at Baskin Robbins? We are all here to help each other out. I just don't know how much we can help someone so undecisive. But again, it's not my forum so ask all you want.

To answer your question to vonbleak, from my experience. A lot of people who don't use Pro Tools buy Digidesign hardware for two main reasons. Well, really one reason mainly, which has two aspects to it. One it has come a long way, so it's just as good as anything else on the market. ASIO and the Wave Driver allow you to open other software, like vonbleak's Cubase SX. Two and most important I believe, it comes with Pro Tools software. Even if you never plan to use it, like vonbleak, it's good to have it in case you ever need it, for any reason whatsoever.

By the way guys, on the topic of the release of 6.1, you will notice that the Apple MacWorld Expo is on June 23. I would bet that we get an official answer then, to either be released right then or shortly thereafter.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:00 PM

Guys, there's Protools, and then there are less expensive alternatives. Buying an 002R for use with other software is damned silly. The 828mkII is as good or better, without the Protools dongle surtax. Similarily the 2408mkII always killed the 001. If you want to be able to use Protools "just in case" (wtf does that mean anyway) just get a used Audiomedia III for $140.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:21 PM

I would have to agree. Digidesign Hardware is made to work with their software. They really don't give a flying crap about supporting anybody else's software - I don't care if they say it's ASIO or not.

Even if it is ASIO compatible, I bet it's buggy as all hell with other software except when you're using PT.

Face it. They will spend their energies supporting their own software.

Just my opinion.