Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-13-2015, 08:27 AM

Default Pro Tools Initializing Audio Engine Error

Hey all,

I've been researching this through the forums and online and still haven't found any answers. When opening pro tools 12, it hangs when initializing the audio engine then throws up an error saying another needs to be selected.

I've tried holding n at the splash screen and it still won't open the engine playback preferences. I'm unable to open pro tools to change the settings in the program. I've tried changing my sound card on my pc to my box but still nothing. I have the latest driver and updates installed. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

Also, I have my ilok setup and have the license activated on it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Using Dell inspiron i7
Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
Pro Tools 12
Old 08-13-2015, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Initializing Audio Engine Error

See - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368422
Old 08-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread! So I followed all of those steps and it still won't get past the initial audio engine screen. When I hold n, I see a screen pop up but I can't click on it because the error message blocks it. I installed ASIO4 all, uninstalled and reinstalled everything and still no luck.

I'm not sure what's going on, it shouldn't be this difficult.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 AM

Did you try the steps in the first post (don't hold n during the splash screen) I updated that post yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdro View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread! So I followed all of those steps and it still won't get past the initial audio engine screen. When I hold n, I see a screen pop up but I can't click on it because the error message blocks it. I installed ASIO4 all, uninstalled and reinstalled everything and still no luck.

I'm not sure what's going on, it shouldn't be this difficult.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM

I did! My computer doesn't seem to recognize asio4all. I run the .exe and install and then restart my computer but it never shows up. I appreciate the help you've given so far!

I'm using windows 8 btw
Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 AM

If you see a "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASIO4ALL v2" folder that contains an uninstall.exe in it (and Instruction Manual), its likely installed. You need a DAW that uses it (as an ASIO interface) to start/run it though.

Quote:
I did! My computer doesn't seem to recognize asio4all. I run the .exe and install and then restart my computer but it never shows up. I appreciate the help you've given so far!

I'm using windows 8 btw
Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM

check, ASIO4All is indeed installed. Pro tools still won't open, I wanted to use that as the DAW.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:18 AM

You don't have anything in your optical drive do you? Do you have speakers or headphones connected to your computer's audio device. Do they work with Windows? Pro Tools 12 should be able to directly use the computer's audio device (though it can't change it's sample rate so you have to create a new session). Forget about the mbox (and Presonus) for now (unplug it) - set you Windows default Playback device to your computer's speakers.

Didn't you get Studio One Artist DAW Software free with your Presonus interface? Why not install it and see if it works with ASIO4ALL?

Quote:
check, ASIO4All is indeed installed. Pro tools still won't open, I wanted to use that as the DAW.

Last edited by Amack; 08-14-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add Studio One suggestion
Old 08-14-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
You don't have anything in your optical drive do you?

Didn't you get Studio One Artist DAW Software free with your Presonus interface? Why not install it and see if it works with ASIO4ALL?
Great idea, trying now!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:02 PM

I installed studio one and switched the default playback engine to asio4all! Tried to launch pro tools, no luck. Uninstalled, reinstalled and re-started, still won't recognize the driver and I still can't even get into pro tools to change the option.

I'm getting pretty frustrated, I'm not tech deficient by any means. I'm hoping getting a refund isn't this difficult. Thanks for all your help brother, I really appreciate it!