Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Default Playback Latency with online video PT. 8.0

Hi Everyone,
I'm a sound designer and i recently bought a new quad core 2.66 mac pro and upgraded my pro tools to 8.0. dv toolkit 2.0 I'm running a digi 002 rack.....and she was humming!!! Fast as hell no problems .... all good stuff

but

I open up my session and i'm getting a 2-3 second latency when i hit play and my video track is on line. Video offline.....no latency. No errors with the firewire bus at all.

I've tried hosting the video on everything from a firewire 400, firewire 800, SATA drive....everything and it doesn't make a dif. Same result when i send it out the firewire port to view on my external monitor or just on my second screen. I've tried adjusting my playback buffer and dae buffer, i'm out of ideas.

anyone have any ideas if there is a setting that i'm overlooking or if it's a mac issue.....i'm inclined to think it's a protools issue.

thanks everyone !!

Aaron S
Old 09-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Playback Latency with online video PT. 8.0

Hey Aaron,

Do you have 2 separate firewire controllers? If not, you should avoid using a firewire disk in conjunction with the 002 (or any other firewire based digi hardware).

That said, you should aim to have separate HDD for system (OS X, Pro Tools), audio, and video. If you don't have 3 or more internal SATA disks, try putting the video on a USB-disk instead of FW.

Best regards,

Linus
Old 09-26-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Playback Latency with online video PT. 8.0

Thanks linus......I do have room for another internal drive and that's what i thought i would try. It's the only thing i have left to change. Although i did a test with one of my internal sata drives , that isn't my protools audio drive and it did the same 2-3 gap.....i get a momentary wheel and then it starts playing. Really annoying and making it incredibly hard to do my job effectively.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Playback Latency with online video PT. 8.0 ( SOLVED )

Well it looks like it had to do with a conflict internally with the sound settings on the mac. I found another post that had a solution. You can't have sound using the digi core audio in Pt 8.0 if you are using a video clip that has a sound track. I turned that off and so far she's running fine.

WOOOOOOO!!! Back to work!