Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-11-2003, 07:54 AM

Default music for video on LE

i am running PTLE 6.1....and am producing some music for a commercial here locally. I do not have dvtoolkit. What type of video file should i tell them to send me? quicktime movie? What is OMF? can they print the timecode on the quicktime movie? what will the dvtookit do for me that i cant do in 6.1?

I have worked with quicktime movies in os9 and 5.1 but just visually did it...no timecode. im now in osx and using 6.1

they are using Avids to edit.

thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 08:29 AM

Default Re: music for video on LE

locash -

since you say its a "commercial," i would assume its pretty short, right? in that case i would definitely just get a quicktime from them with timecode burned in to the image. do your work that way, and then when you send it back or if you are working with them on changes, you have the timecode right there to reference. the dv toolkit will give you some omf capabilities, a timecode ruler, and a few other things, but if i were you i wouldn't blow the $700 for a :30 spot.

$.02

good luck.

-adam-
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 09-11-2003, 08:39 AM

yes it is a .30 sec spot. i told them to make a quicktime movie with timecode burn. thanks for the help.
If i was to do a lot of this how would dvtoolkit help?
Can i import omf in LE 6.1?
What exactly is OMF?
thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 11:43 AM

Hey Locash,

Just a comment...tell them to use the "sorenson" codec when making the quicktime, it seems to run the best.

Also I would ask them for 2 versions, one with a timecode burn (timecode visual on screen) and another without, so when your finished you'll be able to see what they're gonna see when your audio is put into the avid, and you'll be sure your not missing anything hidden behind the onscreen timecode.

OMF - Open Media Format - a cross platform format than stores vital information, ie. timecode start and end points for the audio, handle sizes (how much of the audio to allow to be pulled out after consolidating), session start time, timecode format (30 frames, 29.97 frames, drop frame, blah blah blah), ...

OMF is great for long format video sessions. ie, tv programs, movies, ... The big advantage, to me, is when I convert the OMF of camera audio, from the avid, to a PT's session, I have the ability to pull out the ends of the audio files and create smooth fade ins and outs (because video editors just LOVE to edit right in the middle of a word, because it works for the picture - uh...no 'ffence video editors). Being able to pull out the audio allows you to fix the audio without affecting the picture edit.

Hopefully shed a little light on it without getting too long winded.

L8R,

Ter

I don't know, what d'you think?
Old 09-12-2003, 08:03 PM

thanks man....appreciate the help.
im enjoying this alot but need some work on the tech aspect. thanks again.