Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Default Strategies for archiving/converting ALL my PT sessions...

I haven't actively used Pro Tools in a year or so. I've moved on to Studio One for my personal projects. I like it better, and it fits my budget much better as well, especially because it's not being used for any money-making.

But I have years worth of PT sessions. I've always kept PT around so I'd have access to these sessions, but at this point, it's getting expensive to keep up with software that I really don't use regularly. I have Pro Tools 9 (HD) but that's only good up to Snow Leopard. I'm still at Snow Leopard, and have no immediate plans to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but at some point, I'd like to, and Studio One is compatible with the latest incarnation of OSX.

I wish there was a way to batch convert this stuff to Studio One format, but I know that's not possible.

I think it's pretty much going to these options...

1.) Keep a copy of Snow Leopard and PT9, dual boot if I need to (though this option can't last forever).

2.) Manually go into every single session, and do some stem exporting, save it all nice, label it, so it's all there for Studio One. Though I'm bound to lose some VIs, or automation or whatever, but I can remix and patch up what's necessary.

Not sure what else I could do. But I'm looking for any suggestions or tips on what I've suggested above. If I had a commercial studio, I'd have no problem just keeping up with PT non-HD upgrades, but those days are gone.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Strategies for archiving/converting ALL my PT sessions...

I've never used it, but might support a format you can get into studio one.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au/
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM

Or open up all your old sessions, consolidate all the audio(and maybe print any VI tracks to audio) and export(make a folder for each song). That way, you can import the audio into any DAW program you want(as long as you save all as wave or aiff files).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Or open up all your old sessions, consolidate all the audio(and maybe print any VI tracks to audio) and export(make a folder for each song). That way, you can import the audio into any DAW program you want(as long as you save all as wave or aiff files).
I think manually is my best bet. Thanks for taking the time to add to the thread. Maybe I'll do a couple each night over the holidays. That should take care of it I think.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
I think manually is my best bet. Thanks for taking the time to add to the thread. Maybe I'll do a couple each night over the holidays. That should take care of it I think.

I think I would rather dig my eye out with a spoon than go through all that pain

Send me a couple of your old PTFs (not PTX) and I will convert them to something that Studio One will read eg Steinberg Track Archive (XML), OpenTL or .capture

Conversion to Stein xml & OpenTL works best if AAT has access to the audio but I'm sure we can show you how well it works - note that last time I looked Studio One's implementation of Stein xml & OpenTL was a little lacking in some areas.

Email the PTFs via the AATranslator web site
Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post

For sure its the long way around, but its a sure thing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM

When I moved from my old Q66/XP/PT7 to PT 8/9 on a Mac Pro, I just kept the old machine as is, decomissioned it and rolled it in a closet. I also kept and older MBox to go with it as safety. A couple clients did call a year down the road for some rework/remix/edits jobs. I just rolled it out and off we went. Zero drama!

However, for my personal enjoyment in some cases I prefered to bounce a number of stems/elements and migrate the project to my new system.

Darryl Ramm