Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 AM

Default Clicks and Pops w PT 11.x.x and EW CCC2

Sorry for the length and same ol' topic, but I didn't see any specific threads on this topic for users of EW CCC2 on ProTools 11. And I'd appreciate a "kind" response to a non-techie and newbie please!

I received a brand new iMac recently (specs at bottom) in hopes of improving the overall performance of PT and my EW CCC2 instruments for a project I'm orchestrating. But I'm now intermittently getting out of memory buffer errors and pops clicks. I have the buffering set as high as PT's will allow, including inside PLAY (the MBOX on the iMac doesn't have an option to change buffering like the older version did on my Windows when I had it). I've optimized my iMac to Avid's suggested setup. I've ensured applications and hardware including PT's, PLAY, MBox, etc. are as up to date as possible. I've reviewed the MBox settings against the PLAY settings against the PT device settings to ensure everything appears balanced. And while I'm on the latest v11xx of PT's, which is supposed to handles processing MUCH better than previous versions with 64bit architecture and improved low latency buffering, I am getting more clicks and pops now than I did on my 2 yr old MacBook pro with far less horsepower.

Culling through online threads I've seen all sorts of opinions but nothing that I haven't tried has helped (e.g. reinstalling a clean PT's, ensuring all SW/Drivers/BIOS up to date, removing PT quicktime server process, repair disk permissions, delete databases and preferences, etc.). I'm afraid to make too many more adjustments on a brand new machine. It may be possible that something is amuck with HW (cables, line conditioning issues, etc., etc.), but I doubt that since everything was working better with the older computer (and still does). I really thought AVID's improvements with things like the 64bit SW and improvements to low latency buffering would solve this.

So... Any OTHER recommendations anyone might consider? Someone recommended I move my Virt Inst's to Vienna Ensemble Pro (?) but that would require yet ANOTHER machine, right? Frustrating.....

All my best,
Isaac
Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Clicks and Pops w PT 11.x.x and EW CCC2

Here are my system specs:
27” iMac
NVIDIAGeForceGTX775M 2GB GDDR5
3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive (apps and data)
Finale 2014 notation software
ProTools 11+, MBox 3rd Gen
Promise External 2TB SSD RAID10 Drive Array via Thunderbolt hosts virtual instruments
East West Complete Composers Collection 2 (Hollywood Brass/Woodwinds/Strings, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Choirs/WordBuilder, Voices of Passion, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock 2, Spaces)
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasandy View Post
Here are my system specs:
27” iMac
NVIDIAGeForceGTX775M 2GB GDDR5
3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive (apps and data)
Finale 2014 notation software
ProTools 11+, MBox 3rd Gen
Promise External 2TB SSD RAID10 Drive Array via Thunderbolt hosts virtual instruments
East West Complete Composers Collection 2 (Hollywood Brass/Woodwinds/Strings, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Choirs/WordBuilder, Voices of Passion, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock 2, Spaces)
That fusion drive has been the source of many problems according to some that have posted here. What is a RAID 10 drive array? How many SSD's are in there? You'd be better off dumping the RAID via OSX disk utility and having OSX see them as separate drives. What version of OSX are you running? You don't say. Do you have PT recording to a separate drive and not a partition of a drive? Have you REALLY optimized your iMac to Avid's specs? Are you using wireless connections to the net - that's not good if you do that while PT is running. Wireless networking should be disabled while in PT.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 AM

Jack...

OSX 10.9.1
RAID is config w/ two (2) 1TB SSD’s configured to appear as a single 2TB for my EW CCC2 instruments. I could try your recommendation on splitting as individual drives.
I am not in “recording” mode yet, only mixing so I’m not having any issues recording anything yet.
Have I “really” optimized? To my knowledge, yes, unless you would care to share any links to further be of value to me.
I don’t use WiFi, only direct connect ethernet for INet, which usually I unplug before using PT’s

Regards,
Isaac
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Jack...

OSX 10.9.1
RAID is config w/ two (2) 1TB SSD’s configured to appear as a single 2TB for my EW CCC2 instruments. I could try your recommendation on splitting as individual drives.
I am not in “recording” mode yet, only mixing so I’m not having any issues recording anything yet.
Have I “really” optimized? To my knowledge, yes, unless you would care to share any links to further be of value to me.
I don’t use WiFi, only direct connect ethernet for INet, which usually I unplug before using PT’s

Regards,
Isaac
I would do the split of the RAID drives. Was your writing it as RAID a mistake then? Never heard of a RAID 10 setup; RAID 0, 1, 2, etc. but not 10. Also uncheck 'ignore pops and clicks' in PT if you haven't already.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Sorry Jack, you're correct. RAID "0", not 10.... my mistake. Makes 2 drives appear as 1 large, for speed, not redundancy. I am getting read times of 850mb+ so it's fast as can be. And I'm loading Hollywood Diamond "powerful" strings and they appear to playback well. I will have to reformat and recopy all the files in order to split back which will take some time. But I will try the setting change but I am unfamiliar with the "ignore pops/clicks" setting. Is that under SETUP????
Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry Jack, you're correct. RAID "0", not 10.... my mistake. Makes 2 drives appear as 1 large, for speed, not redundancy. I am getting read times of 850mb+ so it's fast as can be. And I'm loading Hollywood Diamond "powerful" strings and they appear to playback well. I will have to reformat and recopy all the files in order to split back which will take some time. But I will try the setting change but I am unfamiliar with the "ignore pops/clicks" setting. Is that under SETUP????
It's in one of the preferences pages; I don't have my daw booted at the moment but look through prefs and you'll see it.

The RAID 0 could well be the problem here because the data is coming from two drives and not just one.

QAPLA!