Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2023, 03:57 PM

Default I/O settings won`t default :

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400T CPU @ 1.70GHz 1.70 GHz
12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)
64 Bit operating system

Can someone explain how get my I/O to open with my Output setting @ 1-2 every time. As a template. I've watched multiple videos , tried using the Default settings , and I get different results every time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-04-26 183615.jpg (51.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 04:55 PM

Default Re: I/O settings won`t default :

What audio interface are you using, and have you checked it is selected as the playback engine when Pro Tools starts... No actually look.

If you are using ASIO4ALL, well who knows, you are lucky it works at all. You should get a proper ASIO audio interface.

I don't follow exactly what you are having problems with or mean by "Can someone explain how get my I/O to open with my Output setting @ 1-2 every time". Can you describe clearly what is happening. Like when you open a new template etc.? With what playback engine? Are you using a custom IO assignment? (.pio file). What values do you see in the output IO selectors--and importantly do they work or not (the label text has *no* actual meaning to Pro Tools, only the IO port numbers actually control where audio goes. What is the screenshot supposed to tell us? It's showing the channel output selectors set to "Output 1-2".

The place to look when defaulting the IO is at what is going on in the Setup>IO>{input, output, bus} when you press the default button.

Defaulting the IO adds the standard names for the input, output, bus IO ports into the IO setup. Pro Tools just gets those names from the device driver for whatever the Playback engine is set to. So first off is that set correct? And if you use a different playback engine and default stuff you expect things to change. Pro Tools sometimes deciding to silently start up with a different playback engine than you expect can especially lead to confusion.

One frequent cause of confusion is the track I/O selectors are *not* showing the names of the IO output ports, they show the name of the busses mapped to those ports. And folks get confused when they forget to default the bus IO settings. You have to pay attention to that bus page.

But then what... if you are looking at existing track IO selector buttons, wether they are set to select the IO you think they should all depends on what the mapping before was. Once you are satisfied the I/O setup is correct if the track IO selectors show the wrong selections you need to change them.

***The default output for new tracks is controlled by the default output bus setting on the Setup>IO>bus page.***

And if stuff was already in the IO Setup and you default I/O you likely end up with a mish mash of old and new stuff, so if you want a clean I/O setup it's best to select and delete all the IO paths on each of those setup pages before hitting their default button.

It may be worth your time editing the IO Setup pages to include only what I/O you need, assigning nice user friendly labels etc. And that works with but is also in a way orthogonal to session templates. I would try playing with those settings and .pio files separate from templates and see what they do when you import settings into a session. The flexible IO handling in Pro Tools is one of it's great advantages, it's nice stuff once you work it out, and it's worth spending time playing with it to see how it works/what it can do. It's documented in the Pro Tools Reference Guide PDF already on your system.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:55 PM

I am using a focus right 4i4 interface. I do not use monitor speakers ( Strictly headphones). My playback engine is set to focus right USP asio. I do not get any sounds through my headphones through channels 3 -4. I am trying to figure out how to Start my sessions with the audio tracksSet to Channels 1-2. I'm not a Tech wiz by any means, But can still understand most of what I am trying to Do , And I thank you for your clear instructions on how to salvage this problem. I just Defaulted my Bus Channels, Followed by my input and output channels. When I started a new session, All the inputs and outputs Came up as I described before. I'm hoping that your suggestion of Defaulting my my bus channels 1st Followed by defaulting the others We'll do the trick. If not I will keep following your suggestions. Thank you very much for your time and help. It is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png 20230426_231852.png (49.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230426_231810.jpg (35.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230426_231706.jpg (35.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230426_231632.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the screen shots, I can see straight away on the Setup>IO>Bus page that your default output bus is set to "Mix Bus" and not "Output 1-2". That is probably not what you want. Great to see you using a proper ASIO interface from Focusrite.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:33 PM

I'll probably be using your suggestions for a while to come. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:51 PM

Sometimes it helps to delete all the paths before hitting default to clean things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-28-2023, 04:40 PM

Ditto on the incorrect output path. Notice that "Mix bus" is not mapped to an actual output(no check mark as you can see for "Out L-R"). I'll toss this ball into your court: in addition to the good advice above, you can also customize the IO to suit your needs/wants. Some examples from my own setup:
1-my main output is named Main Out L/R, and my musical partner also named his the same. When we pass sessions back and forth, we never get messages about missing paths(Pro Tools looks for the name)
2-my inputs, since they almost always get used the same, are named for the purpose. Examples: instead of Input 1, Input 2, etc...mine go Tube(my tube vocal mic on preamp 1), FET(my FET mic on preamp 2), Acc1 and Acc 2(for the 2 preamps that I always use for tracking acoustic guitar).
3-I also name my usual bus paths, such as; DrumRm, DrumComp, VocVrb, AccVrb, etc. roll these around in your mind and see if maybe they give you ideas on how to customize your IO settings to suit you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave