Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Default Pro Tools shows signal but I dont hear anything???

Hey guys. Just tried to record a friend using one of their condenser mics and had something weird happening.

I set up the mic. Had phantom power on coming from my MBox2 Pro and had the gain at a reasonable level. No pad on the mic. Then I hit record and Pro Tools was showing this crazy level coming from the mic without anyone singing in it or talking in it. It looked like a fully distorted 0dB signal. Then when I put the pad on to see if anything would change the vocals were showing at that crazy high level when just talking in the Mic.

The gain was barely past 1 o clock on the mbox in both situations.

This has never happened before and I have recorded this person before with the same exact mic with none of these problems. We tried switching out the cables and we tried using a different mic and still had the same problem.

EDIT
This is happening on both inputs of the MBPro.
If I turn the gain all the way down and set it to record it still shows up in PT. If I do something simple like snap the signal immediately looks to be at 0db.
If I record something it does not play back distorted. Plays back at the regular levels. In the mix window the levels will be normal looking however in the edit window it still looks to be distorting
Any thoughts?

System is PT8 running on a MBPro Core Duo..
Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools shows signal but I dont hear anything???

Does this happen on both inputs of the MBox 2 Pro?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools shows signal but I dont hear anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikman View Post
Does this happen on both inputs of the MBox 2 Pro?
yea. I also turned the gain all the way down on the MBPro and its still showing signal if i tell it to start recording.