Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM
starburst starburst is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 177
Default used Hd cards: pcix or express?

Guys, bit confused.

I want to pick up a used HD system.

Pci-x cards are much cheaper than the new express version on ebay. Would you say its better to invest in the express version? Are the x version compatible with pt 10?
What year did the mac pro move to pci express?

Now thinking about the mac pro. My understanding is a 2010 spring model would give me access to the current os and pt 10, but what about pt 8 and 9? Pt 10 is still too costly for me but I imagine when pt 11 comes out prices will drop dramatically so pt 8 or 9 would do me for a year or two then I can pick up 10 later.
Hoping for some advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
starburst starburst is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 177
Default Re: used Hd cards: pcix or express?

Another question, I have some plugins on my mix tdm pt 6.4 such as focusrite d2/3 , autotune on ilok. Will they work in pt hd?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
P,B,S P,B,S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: themoon
Posts: 286
Default Re: used Hd cards: pcix or express?

Express is the more powerful system .
If I were you I would consider HDN seriously
HDN with a HD 16x16 analog have sold on ebay for as low as $3500.
A HD1 rig leaves a lot to be desired and may even be a let down for some HD2 not much better. From my limited experience with TDM HD3/4 is where the real potential of TDM kicks in. But I also would be hesitant because of the $900 to $1200 per card TDM still costs now but in a year when HD11 is finally released its my estimate that TDM prices will drastically reduce by half in a month.
But if you dont mind having your investment devalue as much as it most certainly should TDM is a great system.
New MAC PROs will be out in six months and if they get the power boost most assume they will a HDN and new MAC PRO will be a much faster with greater processing resources. TDM will likely not be able to compete with the new MAC PROs even with just PT11 and CPTK .
But its all speculative as nobody really knows for sure

But the fact that HDN will support new releases of PT for a long time to come would get my vote. I wouldn't invest thousands to be out of date unsupported and discontinued a year before you even own it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
sunburst79 sunburst79 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Posts: 12,763
Default Re: used Hd cards: pcix or express?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post
Another question, I have some plugins on my mix tdm pt 6.4 such as focusrite d2/3 , autotune on ilok. Will they work in pt hd?
I'm pretty sure Focurite should. I beleive those were both TDM and Native auths. Autotune i dont know.

Mac Pros are all PCI express. G4s are all PCI. I'm not positive if they are PCI 64bit or PCI-X technically but the cards fit and run. The PCI HD cards themselves are actually 32 bit. The rear set of "Fingers" or contacts on the card are unused. G5's were a mix of PCI, PCIX and PCIe. Nice link listing the various models. Its important to note that you cannot mix card types in the same machine. In other words they must all be PCI or PCIe. Hope that helps.
__________________
Scott

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM
starburst starburst is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 177
Default Re: used Hd cards: pcix or express?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P,B,S View Post
Express is the more powerful system .
If I were you I would consider HDN seriously
HDN with a HD 16x16 analog have sold on ebay for as low as $3500.
A HD1 rig leaves a lot to be desired and may even be a let down for some HD2 not much better. From my limited experience with TDM HD3/4 is where the real potential of TDM kicks in. But I also would be hesitant because of the $900 to $1200 per card TDM still costs now but in a year when HD11 is finally released its my estimate that TDM prices will drastically reduce by half in a month.
But if you dont mind having your investment devalue as much as it most certainly should TDM is a great system.
New MAC PROs will be out in six months and if they get the power boost most assume they will a HDN and new MAC PRO will be a much faster with greater processing resources. TDM will likely not be able to compete with the new MAC PROs even with just PT11 and CPTK .
But its all speculative as nobody really knows for sure

But the fact that HDN will support new releases of PT for a long time to come would get my vote. I wouldn't invest thousands to be out of date unsupported and discontinued a year before you even own it.
Tell me, do the HD native cards handle the audio or is it just an expensive bridge to HD interfaces? In otherwords does the computer handle the plugins but not the audio?

And does the HD native card connect to the old HD interfaces or just the HDX ones?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
YYR123's Avatar
YYR123 YYR123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 13,739
Default used Hd cards: pcix or express?

Yes HD native is no card processing power for plug's it just handles the audio from the interfaces to the computer

And yes the HD native does support the legacy blue HD interfaces not just the new HD i/o's. You're welcome to doublecheck me but I believe that's correct information about the latter question
__________________
Daniel
HDX - PT12.5.1 - HD I/O 16x8x8
Win10-Pro (v1709)- 6 Core i7-6850k - ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue


http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 21,425
Default Re: used Hd cards: pcix or express?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post
What year did the mac pro move to pci express?
Mac Pro has always been PCI-express. It was the G5 PowerMac that was PCI-X to begin with, and it was the very last generation (late-2005) models that got PCI-express.

If you're choosing PCI-X you're choosing very old host workstation or expansion chassis or PC or Hackintosh which not many of us would like to recommend, with the exception of expanded systems if you need/want more than three cards.

(that said, I have a spare system G5 with PCI-X cards running PT8.0.1 and it's really usable. hard to get plugin support anymore but other than that it's workable solution)
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digidesign 192 (2) + HD Core and Accel Cards (PCIX) N1h1l1ty Buy & Sell 1 07-17-2013 09:48 PM
PT10 & PCIX cards crsync Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 05-15-2012 08:12 AM
Help with hd cards pcix in a pc mafa187 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) 0 05-31-2011 09:04 AM
Got HD PCIx cards- switch from mac to PC? Neale Eckstein Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 11 03-19-2009 05:00 PM
Newer Mac for old HD2 Accel PCI cards? PCI fits PCIx? magnetic7 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 5 01-30-2008 09:50 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com