Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2023, 07:47 PM

Default WASAPI and Video Engine Support

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and new to Pro Tools within the last one and a half years. I am starting my second Pro Tools class, 110, and am writing this thread out of curiosity and as part of an assignment. To be fair, I simply think video engine support will eventually arrive, but I am wondering what perceptions are surrounding ASIO and WASAPI.

The Knowledge Base makes it clear that ASIO hasn't been through the testing Avid would desire, while WASAPI support is their focus. What's the skinny on that situation? I noticed that WASAPI's lowest latency is 256 samples compared to ASIO4ALL's 32 or 64.

I'm glad to be using Pro Tools for post-production work and am looking forward to getting my certification. I hope you are all doing well!
Old 01-11-2023, 08:34 PM

Default Re: WASAPI and Video Engine Support

I have no idea what you are looking at or talking about. WASAPI is unreliable and a mess in many situations compared to a quality ASIO interface with a quality ASIO driver developers by the interface manufacturer. And there is no universe in which Avid has had more focus on WASAPI than ASIO. If anything Avid has begrudgingly added WASAPI support to cater to new low-end users with Avid's low-end products (a market space where they have struggled badly, but are hopefully doing better now with Pro Tools Intro).

If you are intending to work with Pro Tools. Get a quality interface from a vendor with proven/quality ASIO drivers and a good reputation for long term hardware and software support. RME is an example at top of my list. Other vendors to look at are UAD, Focusrite, Presonus, Motu, Lynx, and at the high end Prism, DaD (or the Avid rebadged products), etc.

The Focusrite 2i2 is the very frequently recommended beginner interface here, including because it has ASIO support and the recommendation is always to use it as an ASIO interface.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-11-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:54 AM

I agree, ASIO is the way to go. I've been running Focusrite interfaces for years.

Steve
Old 01-12-2023, 12:09 PM

Plus a gazillion for RME, not only for their quality interfaces, best-in-class drivers, both ASIO and USB, and very long support, but TotalMix. However, bring your money.

And WASAPI? Run, very fast, from WASAPI.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-16-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I have no idea what you are looking at or talking about. WASAPI is unreliable and a mess in many situations compared to a quality ASIO interface with a quality ASIO driver developers by the interface manufacturer. And there is no universe in which Avid has had more focus on WASAPI than ASIO. If anything Avid has begrudgingly added WASAPI support to cater to new low-end users with Avid's low-end products (a market space where they have struggled badly, but are hopefully doing better now with Pro Tools Intro).

If you are intending to work with Pro Tools. Get a quality interface from a vendor with proven/quality ASIO drivers and a good reputation for long term hardware and software support. RME is an example at top of my list. Other vendors to look at are UAD, Focusrite, Presonus, Motu, Lynx, and at the high end Prism, DaD (or the Avid rebadged products), etc.

The Focusrite 2i2 is the very frequently recommended beginner interface here, including because it has ASIO support and the recommendation is always to use it as an ASIO interface.

So, this article on knowledge base is what I am referencing when I say Avid is allegedly leaning toward WASAPI. I have been using ASIO to work with Pro Tools from the beginning.

Read the first two paragraphs

"*Although this guide mentions using ASIO4ALL with Pro Tools, ASIO4ALL is not officially supported or qualified by Avid for use with Pro Tools. We have found this configuration to generally work successfully, but it has not gone through Avid's rigorous testing processes. For a list of officially supported audio interfaces, refer to the Pro Tools system requirements pages."

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-on-Windows-10
Old 01-16-2023, 07:10 PM

You need to reread the KB article.

It is talking about ASIO4ALL, not ASIO. You posted claims about ASIO, making completely invalid extrapolations confusing real ASIO with ASIO4ALL. Who cares if ASIO4ALL might be more problematic that WASAPI. Both should be ignored and folks should be using ASIO interfaces.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorMBaker View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and new to Pro Tools within the last one and a half years. I am starting my second Pro Tools class, 110, and am writing this thread out of curiosity and as part of an assignment. To be fair, I simply think video engine support will eventually arrive, but I am wondering what perceptions are surrounding ASIO and WASAPI.

The Knowledge Base makes it clear that ASIO hasn't been through the testing Avid would desire, while WASAPI support is their focus. What's the skinny on that situation? I noticed that WASAPI's lowest latency is 256 samples compared to ASIO4ALL's 32 or 64.

I'm glad to be using Pro Tools for post-production work and am looking forward to getting my certification. I hope you are all doing well!
There was a time when my interface broke down and I was forced to mess with Asio4All and Wasapi for a couple of weeks. It wasn't a pleasant experience. As Darryl said, nothing beats a good interface with Asio drivers from the maker of the interface.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:06 PM

I would very much recommend looking at Voicemeeter Banana!

Offers two virtual ASIO drivers, a third ASIO Insert.
I give lectures streaming surround from my laptop through HDMI from Pro Tools.
Back in studio, change playback engine back to RME Asio, done.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
Back in studio, change playback engine back to RME Asio, done.
If you have an RME interface, why not use the included TotalMix to do all your signal routing?

For video streaming, would www.vdo.ninja be useful? It's also now combined with the latest versions of www.sonobus.net.

And they're both free.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction