Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-06-2022, 11:24 AM

Default Can Someone Clarify Subscription Question?

My Ultimate subscription runs out in 30 days.

If I don't renew, I understand I can keep using it, but, no more updates.

Two questions:

1 If I don't renew, and choose to rejoin at a later time, how much will it cost compared to the amount they want right now ....

and

2 Is there an option to continue my Ultimate subscription at a monthly rate? I did not see one.

Thx
TH
Old 08-06-2022, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Can Someone Clarify Subscription Question?

No. That is not how subscriptions work.

You have to be extremely careful with terminology here. What *exactly* do you have? What exact product licences are showing in ILM and your Avid account?

If you have an ultimate subscription and it ends, Pro Tools stops being usable, as you have no license. You can restart another monthly or annual subscription at any time.

If you have a perpetual license and your update/support plan ends you can keep using pro tools versions released up until that final date. Nobody calls the update and support plan a "subscription", they are very different things. The customer hostage threat however is after a one month grace period you just can't start a new update/support plan, you have to pay more for a reinstatement.... and they may or may not be available in future. And now Avid is calling a reinstatement an upgrade to confuse things further. There is no monthly update and support plan price, it's annual only. You can purchase a reinstatement from a reseller (not Avid directly) and decide to activate that in future, that gives you insurance you can get back on the update/support plan.

Be very careful, if had a perpetual license in the past and took some promotional deals you may have surrendered that perpetual license and now have a subscription. If so it will stop working.

Actual pricing for this you should be able to find online, and you should be able to do that yourself if you are looking for the right thing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-06-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:38 PM

I bought a Carbon last year, sold it but still have the Ultimate version it came with.

MyAvid account says:

Perpetual Product Pro Tools Ultimate

Expires Aug 31st

They want 399.00 for another year. ....

I see no option to subscribe to it monthly to keep it going and not have to put all that out at once....?
Old 08-06-2022, 03:56 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this seems that your Pro Tools will continue to work at the version it is right now. But(the big BUT) 2 things will happen:
#1-some plugins may stop working(spelled out in the original deal).
#2-you will stay at the numeric version you now have(to get any new updates after August, you need to pay up to get current).

More to consider; do you need Ultimate? Carbon is supposed to work with Studio, so you might have a less expensive option.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-06-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
I bought a Carbon last year, sold it but still have the Ultimate version it came with.

MyAvid account says:

Expires Aug 31st

I see no option to subscribe to it monthly to keep it going and not have to put all that out at once....?
The update and support plan is not available as a monthly.
It is also not a "subscription" You are buying another year of "updates and support."

Subscriptions (which are non-perpetual licenses) are available monthly.

If you don't spend on keeping the perpetual license up-to-date, you have to pay for a reinstatement plan ("get current") if you want to come back on after letting the update and support plan lapse. That is, if Avid offers it when you want to get back on. If they don't, then you have to buy a new license.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:42 PM

I don't want to add even more confusion, but it must be added that:
A perpetual plan, which is what the OP has, it feels lika a subscription when you have to pay annually to stay updated.
And @ OP, if you really want to go subscription (which is what Avid wants you to do, also), you can do that in a second. On your avid account, my products, Pro tools you see a "Upgrade or move to a subscription:"
Where you can either renew your perpetual license for a year or surrender your perpetual license and go to subscription.
No one knows when and for how long they will offer the different options.

I'm sorry that this is so messy. Not my fault.

I'm getting so tired of this.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post

MyAvid account says:

Expires Aug 31st

Subscribe? But you have a perpetual license.

This is all explained in my first post. As well as the options available to you. If you are still lost call a sales rep at a major dealer like Vintage King or Sweetwater and they can hand hold you though buying what you need and explain any confusion.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this seems that your Pro Tools will continue to work at the version it is right now. But(the big BUT) 2 things will happen:
#1-some plugins may stop working(spelled out in the original deal).
#2-you will stay at the numeric version you now have(to get any new updates after August, you need to pay up to get current).

More to consider; do you need Ultimate? Carbon is supposed to work with Studio, so you might have a less expensive option.
Yes, need Ultimate apparently. I have a template setup that allows me to bounce multiple mixes simultaneously....I wish PT had Reaper's "RENDER Queue" but alas no..